Sign in to follow this  

2010 KX85 gearcase oil ????

Hi all,

I had recently posted a post in the 450 section regarding a 450f similar to this one but would also like to know if anyone is running Rotella-T (white jug) in the 2-stroke's? I've been reading discussion's regarding various gear oils and changing intervals and I am not in any way trying to start a conflict about oil brands and wt's.... I really prefer not to go w/ a Synthetic of anykind or ATF fluid at this time....

My son has a 2010 KX85 and I would like to know what you guys reccomend using as far as gear oil/transmission oils. The previous owner had used a synthetic (Royal Purple) oil in it. We don't ride hard and have not noticed any clutch slippage w/it yet. The bike is just trail and pleasure ridden. I would like to use Rotella -T (dino) oil due to the fact it's easier for me to get. I would like to know if anyone would know if I can just change it over to a dino oil without any particular process or should I approach this in another way? How often should I change it due to the type of riding we do? Has anyone had any problem's with this oil or petro-base oil in their 2-stroke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

KC-

I use the rotella in my dl1000 (vstrom) and it really likes it. I tried mobil 1 and it turned gearbox into a box of rocks. in my kx250 I use type F ATF. been using it for 3 or 4 years now. I used to use bel ray trans oil in all my bikes for years til I switched to atf. kx works better on it than transoil. im sure your kx would work just fine on rotella.

Yes rotella will work just fine. As with any oil, Clean oil is Happy oil.

There will be no problems caused by changing to the rotella.

The oil debate is a HUGE opinionated subject. but Royal Purple was probably the WORST thing that could have been put in it.

Go with the ATF Type F. You can get it at any auto parts store and many have are quite pleased with it. I've been using it for over 35 years.

It used to be $1.98/qt, now it's about $5.00. But still better than Maxima, Belray etc which is about $10.00/qt.

Just remember to change every 8-10 hrs ride time. No longer. Your clutches will last a long, long time. you can use Dexron III in a pinch but Type F doesn't have as many detergents in it.

In our '07 kx85 there was too much clutch drag with the dino Rotella. My son couldn't get it started unless it was in neutral. ATF type F works great.

Thanks a ton guy's for the replies... :lol:

SAPPERS, That is what I've heard about the Royal Purple... Makes me sick!!! :banghead: The good about it is that the bike is extemely low-hour that it was not run hard. In fact, the young man that rode it was plum scared of it.... :)

Edited by stumblinjack

Lawndartmike, Which weight of Rotella were you using? Also, what brand ATF-F are you all using?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms just then.... :lol:

Also, what brand ATF-F are you all using?

Hope I didn't open a can of worms just then.... :lol:[/quote]

YESSSS YOU DID...naww. j/k:lol:

I run regular ol' Advance Auto parts brand. Type F is Type F. it's just the old tranny fluid for the older Fords.

:lol: Dang, y'all all seem to really like the ATF fluid in the 2 strokers.... I suppose it will run about as long as regular petro-based oils between intervals too? Has anyone experienced clutch slippage or it eating clutches up? I do hear that it really improves the shifting and less neutrals are found while using it. Edited by stumblinjack

no more than 10 hours ride time. Purple color is BAAAADDDDD!!!!!

Read the caption...This pic is located in a pictorial in the FAQ section. Having a 2010, you're gonna wanna read into this. It's done on an 06 100. Everything is the same.

36micfrictionplate.jpg

I use Rural King's brand. You can buy it in a 2 gallon jug.

Thanks for the input guy's!!!

SAPPERS, Thanks for the pictorial... It looks like you all might have convinced me to lean more towards the ATF...

I have run ATF is 2-stroke transmissions for many years. Type F gives a more "firm" clutch lockup. The Dexron types are not as firm in the clutch lockup.

I ride single track and prefer feel of the Dexron VI type.

Try some ATF. If you don't like it you can always go back.

i use walmart brand. i still happen to find a false neutral from time to time and also true neutral is hard to locate. but i had the same issues with normal trans oil. but i found atf type f works the best with less trans slippage and failure

Well, I did it.... I filled the bike w/ ATF-F this eve. We didn't get a chance to run it since it got dark on us. The clutch feels a bit tight and notchy when shifting though. Has anyone noticed it feeling this way? I suppose it will loosen up a bit once it's run a little bit.

once you run it and get the fluid flowing, it will get better. you may also feel the possible grooves in you basket forming.