auto clutches!?

The bad thing is that once you get used to it you cant ride a bike without it. Makes you kind of lazy

not so sure about lazy, but totally agree it's hard to ride without once you had it.. i put one on my main bike, 08crf450.. then rode the 04crf450 (keep it around to keep hours off the main race bike) and 2 days later ordered a 2nd recluse exp2.0.

YOU MUST be in the right gear with the basic exp2.0 as you remove clutch plates. The expCORE ($900 retial vs. 400) uses a bigger bigger center hub, basket and larger cover thus keeps all the plates. Removeing plates really heats the clutch if yoru rinding in too high a gear and making the clutch overwork..

. yeah, have to run a good oil and change it sooner.?

good oil, change sooner.. will help but will NOT keep the clutch from overheating and wearing out fibers fast, and potentially warping metals if you abuse the auto clutch. Especially with the exp considering there are fewer plates in total .. the core (and older z-start pro) will take more abuse as there are all the plates.

good oil, change sooner.. will help but will NOT keep the clutch from overheating and wearing out fibers fast, and potentially warping metals if you abuse the auto clutch. Especially with the exp considering there are fewer plates in total .. the core (and older z-start pro) will take more abuse as there are all the plates.

i don't intentionally abuse, be in the right gear at the speed you're going. mine engages right qiuck, i use the lever alot. it just helps with the real slow stuff, keeps it from stalling. i don't feather the lever, just dance on shifter. i've seen what happens when it's set up wrong, you'll smoke some plates quick. also i can adjust mine at the lever, bump start if i have to.

Dont like them , ridden bikes with them , still dont like them any better , nothing it does i cant already do with a stock clutch and more , without worrying about rolling backwards on a slope if i stop and shut the bike off , just not for all people , i think its a crutch , take someone that learned how to ride using one , then put them on a stock bike and you will find out the skill they THOUGHT they had , they dont , and will not usually make it thru the same tough section they went thru easily using it , to me it diminishes skill for a novice rider , he will never learn how to properly ride a bike !

For experienced riders , i feel it makes them lazy and relying on the clutch to get them thru something instead of technique and skill that they should have and should use

But that's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors , not everyone likes the same thing !

i don't intentionally abuse, be in the right gear at the speed you're going. mine engages right qiuck, i use the lever alot. it just helps with the real slow stuff, keeps it from stalling. i don't feather the lever, just dance on shifter. i've seen what happens when it's set up wrong, you'll smoke some plates quick. also i can adjust mine at the lever, bump start if i have to.

yes, exactly.. be in the right gear and don't let the auto clutch work hard all is well. It is SOOOO nice though if your in real tight stuff and not worry about a stall, going up hill and let it slip some..

Im telling you, late in the last harescramble i was in .. it was the difference between finishing in 5th where i was and taking 2nd place. Remove 1 or 2 stalls, go a little faster in sections you normally are having to work the clutch, ..bingo.

The bad thing is that once you get used to it you cant ride a bike without it. Makes you kind of lazy

I dont agree, I have 4 bikes, one with the rekluse and I can ride them all just fine. 2 of them are CRF450r and the one with the rekluse is on my race bike. The only place I really notice it is in the gnarly technical rocky and or slippery stuff, it really dampens the big piston doing its magic...and it seems to allow better traction easier since I dont have to modulate the clutch like on my non-rekluse bike.

So I can ride a bike without it just fine, but I will say it makes some things easier, to each his own I suppose.

I've been a Rekluse lover for the last couple years. I think it makes riding so much more enjoyable. I just got a new-to-me bike and haven't put a Rekluse on it yet. It took me a couple rides to get used to riding without it but it wasn't bad adjusting back to the manual clutch. I'm still torn on whether I'll put a Rekluse on this new bike.

My take is that it definitely makes riding easier and more enjoyable. If that's the goal, it's a no brainer if you don't mind the expense. If the goal is to constantly improve as a rider, I think someone would be better off without it.

A lot of the guys in the endurocross series are running Core EXPs. I would hardly consider these guys lazy or lacking technique. I have a feeling that you will see auto clutches becoming a lot more common; as help you ride faster.

I couldn't imagine someone in formula 1 saying "I don't want a paddle shifter. Give me a stickshift and a clutch."

Edited by mkeeping
  • Like 1

A lot of the guys in the endurocross series are running Core EXPs. I would hardly consider these guys lazy or lacking technique. I have a feeling that you will see auto clutches becoming a lot more common as they make you faster.

I couldn't imagine someone in formula 1 saying "I don't want a paddle shifter. Give me a stickshift and a clutch."

you got it. Im more than an advanced rider, i poo-poo'ed the Recluse for a few years. "auto-crutch" as some would say and what i said too. UNTIL I RACED WITH ONE on my bike.. now im a believer. Your either a good rider or your not, a recluse won't hold your advancemnt in riding back. If anything you will not have to concentrate on the clutch as much thus allowing you to focus on OTHER technique. In more open trails, and faster sections it doesn't do much for you, but as some have found, in tight technical stuff it is AMAZING.

Traction control, tire warmers, slipper clutches.. all these technical things will never NOT be used in roadracing now that they have been introduced. The auto-clutch has made good riders better, and average riders and newbies have more fun.

• Like 2

A few months ago I decided to give the Rekluse EXP 2.0 a shot in my 2007 YZ250 smoker. I use the same gear selection as before but now I just back off the throttle when shifting and don't have to use the clutch lever. Not having to use the clutch lever when shifting is an advantage to me; especially on long rides through technical terrain. There are other advantages to the auto clutch such as being able to come into a turn hot and slam on the rear brake without even pulling in the clutch lever and still not stall the bike. Then you can just get on the gas hard and power right out of the turn. Also, I find it to be really nice when climbing a nasty hill or rough rock face. I just concentrate on staying in the right gear as I normally would but enjoy the advantages of improved traction and dramatically reduced stalling in extremely tight, technical terrain. Come to think of it, I haven't stalled the bike a single time with the Rekluse EXP 2.0 installed in it. A couple of weeks ago I rode a different bike with a manual clutch and I didn't have any problems at all even though I had ridden my YZ250 with a Rekluse EXP 2.0 in it for the previous five rides. If you had good manual clutch skills before riding a bike with an auto clutch you should still have them when you switch back to riding a bike with a manual clutch if you should ever desire to do so.

A few months ago I decided to give the Rekluse EXP 2.0 a shot in my 2007 YZ250 smoker. I use the same gear selection as before but now I just back off the throttle when shifting and don't have to use the clutch lever. Not having to use the clutch lever when shifting is an advantage to me; especially on long rides through technical terrain. There are other advantages to the auto clutch such as being able to come into a turn hot and slam on the rear brake without even pulling in the clutch lever and still not stall the bike. Then you can just get on the gas hard and power right out of the turn. Also, I find it to be really nice when climbing a nasty hill or rough rock face. I just concentrate on staying in the right gear as I normally would but enjoy the advantages of improved traction and dramatically reduced stalling in extremely tight, technical terrain. Come to think of it, I haven't stalled the bike a single time with the Rekluse EXP 2.0 installed in it. A couple of weeks ago I rode a different bike with a manual clutch and I didn't have any problems at all even though I had ridden my YZ250 with a Rekluse EXP 2.0 in it for the previous five rides. If you had good manual clutch skills before riding a bike with an auto clutch you should still have them when you switch back to riding a bike with a manual clutch if you should ever desire to do so.

I never use the clutch lever when shifting ,i never have since i learned how to ride properly ,again ,my reasons why the Rekluse or Auto Clutches in general make a rider lazy , and dependent on the tech to get them thru a situation rather than a learned skill

And everything you just claimed the Rekluse allowed you to do , i do using a stock clutch , so where is that advantage of spending $400-$900 now , on a product that allowed you to do what is already capable without it ??

And its not that you forget the skill IF you had it in the first place , but its the same skill needed to to walk somewhere , but i would bet no one walks to the mall , they have become too lazy and jump in the mini van , to go 4 blocks to the store , and for the Novice rider , they learn nothing about technique or control , and put them on a STOCK clutched bike and they flail and fail , and cant figure out why they cant go where they just went

Like i said , if you or anyone else thinks it makes them a better rider , than that is good for you , i have found it does the opposite to most riders , and i think , just like the trials tire , they should ban them from Endurocross , its supposed to be a challenge for the RIDER , not who can afford the most technical item on their bike to help them ride the course easier , i dont think the Christini should be allowed either , it was not supposed to be about if everyone can get thru it , its about WHO steps up to the challenge , not who has the best parts for the challenge , take away Taddy's auto clutch and he will ride the same , as he already has , and uses the skills , because he was a trials rider , where clutch control is a must

Like i said , they dont improve your skill , if they did , then everyone pull your's out and ride the same area's with the same skill without it , if you struggle more , then it was the clutch not your skill that made it thru the section , ...that is my point

I just get sick of hearing , what can i do to make my bike more woods friendly , GET A REKLUSE ! , BS , gear it properly , , maybe add a flywheel weight and ride it properly and any dirtbike bike can be a good woods weapon , i have seen video's of guys riding tight single track on KTM 990's , so its not about a crutch to get you thru , its about a learned skill , and the satisfaction of knowing YOU did it , not some part you bought that did it for you

Sorry , besides i am just not a fan of a company that runs other companies out of business after they stole their tech , then used it to run them into the ground fighting lawsuits , by claiming it was theirs !

Besides the fact that they take away skill , especially from novice riders

Dont like them , and never will !

If you all do , that is your choice as well , but i dont drink that flavor Kool-Aid

Just my opinion !

They are not for everyone !

I never use the clutch lever when shifting ,i never have since i learned how to ride properly ,again ,my reasons why the Rekluse or Auto Clutches in general make a rider lazy , and dependent on the tech to get them thru a situation rather than a learned skill

And everything you just claimed the Rekluse allowed you to do , i do using a stock clutch , so where is that advantage of spending $400-$900 now , on a product that allowed you to do what is already capable without it ??

And its not that you forget the skill IF you had it in the first place , but its the same skill needed to to walk somewhere , but i would bet no one walks to the mall , they have become too lazy and jump in the mini van , to go 4 blocks to the store , and for the Novice rider , they learn nothing about technique or control , and put them on a STOCK clutched bike and they flail and fail , and cant figure out why they cant go where they just went

Like i said , if you or anyone else thinks it makes them a better rider , than that is good for you , i have found it does the opposite to most riders , and i think , just like the trials tire , they should ban them from Endurocross , its supposed to be a challenge for the RIDER , not who can afford the most technical item on their bike to help them ride the course easier , i dont think the Christini should be allowed either , it was not supposed to be about if everyone can get thru it , its about WHO steps up to the challenge , not who has the best parts for the challenge , take away Taddy's auto clutch and he will ride the same , as he already has , and uses the skills , because he was a trials rider , where clutch control is a must

Like i said , they dont improve your skill , if they did , then everyone pull your's out and ride the same area's with the same skill without it , if you struggle more , then it was the clutch not your skill that made it thru the section , ...that is my point

I just get sick of hearing , what can i do to make my bike more woods friendly , GET A REKLUSE ! , BS , gear it properly , , maybe add a flywheel weight and ride it properly and any dirtbike bike can be a good woods weapon , i have seen video's of guys riding tight single track on KTM 990's , so its not about a crutch to get you thru , its about a learned skill , and the satisfaction of knowing YOU did it , not some part you bought that did it for you

Sorry , besides i am just not a fan of a company that runs other companies out of business after they stole their tech , then used it to run them into the ground fighting lawsuits , by claiming it was theirs !

If you all do , that is your choice as well , but i dont drink that flavor Kool-Aid

Just my opinion !

keep it coming! very good comment, you're not alone, a lot of people feel that way. skill, technology, they go hand & hand. and yes i don't have a recluse product. but it has helped me enjoy riding again along with other setup items, ie; flywheel, gearing, suspension, and time in the saddle.??

Just my opinion !

True, They are not for everyone..

BUT the make a 450 thumper MUCH MUCH easier to ride. Making the average rider able to do more stuff easier with the bike.

If I rode 100% motorcross idk if I'd get one. To me it's the slow speed Enduro X where it really shines...

I'm also kinda confused on how you don't like one... Besides the money.. The only time you can tell it's on there is

1) stopping w/o using clutch

2) rolls around in gear

riding you can't tell unless you get slow enough and let it slip..

One can concentrate on riding and getting up tough obstacles more without having to worry about stalling and slipping the clutch a lot.

Like you said to each his own... But I bet money 90% of riders after riding one set up on a bike correctly will love it..

BTW I have the EXP 2.0 on my 05 crf450r Race bike and first 3 races with it I got the hole shot, Never gotten it before since Enduro is a dead engine start and 2T normally get it or an E-start bike..

-Josh