Sign in to follow this  

2012 crf250r problems

God this sucks. I just got back from the track and my bike is hitting false neutrals. When I shift from 3rd to 4th it will do it. It does not do it every time though. So far it had done it about 5 times. I will be in 3rd then shift and it will go errr bang and shift into 4th. I have an after market hammer head shift lever on the bike. When I rode the bike with the stock shifter it did it 1 time but I was only riding around my house with the stock lever. I have never had a problem with my 07 crf250r. My 2012 has about 3 hours on it.

Then just to make everything worse I was going like 10 mph into a corner and crashed. I bent my radiator plastic on the right side and the right radiator. I got it straigtend out but some of the fins are bent. I will post a picture of later of it. So far I am regretting buying this bike. Should I keep on riding it or should I contact the dealer about the fasle neutral problem? Does it matter if I shift all the way up because it was hard to get my foot under the lever and I would not give it a really good shift all the time.

Sorry to hear that. I've not had any problems with mine, and I have a hammerhead shift lever too. Mine has a 10mm longer tip though. Since I came off Yamaha's a few years back, I like the longer tip.

Sorry to hear that. I've not had any problems with mine, and I have a hammerhead shift lever too. Mine has a 10mm longer tip though. Since I came off Yamaha's a few years back, I like the longer tip.

I bought one with the longer 10mm tip also. Does yours say +10mm on the top of the shift tip. The ones in the pictures show it but mine does not have that written on it. Also, does yours say crf250b on the actual black part of the shifter? This lever has a little more slack in it than the stock one. Im not sure I got the right one.

Mine does say that on the tip, but it's a couple years old too. I ran it on my '10 too. May be wrong, but I don't remember anything written on the back. Mine does not have any slack in it. I did order it right from Hammerhead.

The shifter can loosen up on the splines on the shift shaft. Be sure to check that bolt periodically to make sure the shifter is tight on the shaft. If not, it can wear into the shifter and shift shaft splines making it harder to keep tight.

If the shifter is positioned a spline too high or a spline too low, it can contribute to shifting issues.

Ok I think I may of found out the problem. I put the top of the shift lever bolt on the top going down instead of on the bottom going up. That seemed to have elminated alot of freeplay. Should that solve the false neutral problem?

My raditor moved backwards when I crashed and it hit the red electric plugs which messed up the fins. I had to move the radiator forward to get the radiator shroud to line up somewhat. My plastic is still warped but what ever.

How does my radiator look? Do I need a new one?

032.jpg

031.jpg

I've ridden for years on a radiator that looks worse than that. Just keep an eye on how hot it runs. Of course if you keep bending the aluminum, it will eventually crack.

This happens because your not giving the bike a serious enough upshift. Move your shifter up one click on the splines(works better) and give it a positive shift dont half ass it. I hit neutral too when i dont give it a good enough upshift. Also 60$ rad braces go a long way compared to a 250$ rad. This is definetly user error being so new. Put the stock shifter back on and move it up a click,

This happens because your not giving the bike a serious enough upshift. Move your shifter up one click on the splines(works better) and give it a positive shift dont half ass it. I hit neutral too when i dont give it a good enough upshift. Also 60$ rad braces go a long way compared to a 250$ rad. This is definetly user error being so new. Put the stock shifter back on and move it up a click,

Ok thank you very much. Most of the time when I hit the false neautrals it was in a very tight section where I had to shift from 3rd to 4th really quick. I moved the shifter up some with the after market one. If it does it again I will just put the stock one on and see what happens. I will go to the track on wensday. I really hope it is just user error because this bike is freaken awesome.

^++1

Your radiator looks fine as long as its not leaking. Go buy some guards, I need to do this too for mine and you have just motivated me. Today is cyber Monday you might be able to get a good deal. Also, you mentioned it was hard to get your foot under while shifting...I felt the same when I got the bike, move the shifted up a click or two, I think I moved mine up two maybe three clicks.

ive had radiators that had taken the shape of bananas and ran them, yours looks fine. false neutral eh? i though only Suzuki's did that :lol: actually your shifter may actually be the problem. you say that the bolt was in the wrong way? im not familiar with the hammer head shifter but the stock shifter is threaded only on one side. so if you had the bolt in the wrong way then you weren't "clamped" to the spline shaft. try it in the correct position and report back.

I went to the track on wedsday and put an hour on the bike. It hit a false neutral only one time shifting from 3rd to 4th. Those are the only gears I am ever in on the track so maybe it does it in other gears and I just dont use those gears so I dont know. After it happened I went back to the truck and checked the shift lever bolt. The bolt was a little loose so I tightend it back up and had no problems the rest of the day. I just had to concetrate on giving it a good shift the whole day which I hate. On my 2007 I always just give it a half ass shift and it shifts perfect.

Do you use threadlock? After riding Harley's for years, I've come to use threadlock on just about anything I don't want to loosen up.

One time I lost a shifter on my KTM. Fortunatley, I was in 3rd gear at the time and was able to get back to the truck without any issues. Now it's threadlocked and hasn't come loose again.

MXpro83,

You hit neutral on your honda?

Ya when i dont shift properly ive done it, ive also done it on my kawis too but its my fault. If your trying to compare this to my RMZ it was a totally different ballgame.

I cured my 2010 missed shifts long ago with Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in the transmission. 20/50w summer 10/40w winter. Sometimes I mix them 50/50, like in fall temps.