Sign in to follow this  

07 KTM 450 SX-F - converting to woods machine?

Hi KTM'ers,

I have a 2007 KTM 450 SX-F that I want to set up for Hare Scrambles in 2012. I have a Rekluse Z-Start Pro and LHRB (shortly).

Have any of you converted a 450 SX-F to be a solid woods machine? What are the key modifications you'd suggest? I read once of someone putting a new tranny - i.e. a 6 speed in - but that may be more than I want to tackle/spend on right now.

Also, for Hare Scrambles do I need to install a larger fuel tank or would the standard work ok --- note - I'm not expecting to place at this time, just doing it for fun and gaining skill - perhaps one day I'll get more serious.

Open to any thoughts/suggestions!

Thanks!

I was wondering if you still have your 07' 450 SX-F ? And if you do what all have you done to make it woods ready.

I have the same bike. I am wanting (needing) to do the same thing.

So far this is my plan.

-Rekluse EXP Clutch

-Suspensioin Revalve

-Flywheel weight

-Handguards obviously

Has yours over heated ? I have boiled over a couple times, however since adding engine ice it does seem to be resisting the boil over.

Thank you,

Robbie

If you guys are just wanting to try HS, I wouldn't do much of anything beyond adding handguards. If it turns out that you like doing HS races, then you can start spending money, and you might want to consider getting a bike more suited for that purpose. 450s can be a handful in the woods. They can be effectively used in HS racing, but the riders are usually big, strong, and super fit. If you are sure about keeping the 450s, spend your money on suspension. I have no idea if a KTM 450 can make it with the stock tank, but be very cautious about aftermarket tanks. They often add a lot of width that changes the dynamics of riding the bike. I had no problem finding an XC tank for my SX (same width, but much deeper).

Edited by rpt50

I had a 450exc back in 03/04 man that thing was a beast big time, to much motor for me. The auto clutch will tame it to some point and a few more adde ons should get you going. I would def have the suspension revalved.