Sign in to follow this  

My 03 RM250 ultimate woods racer build- lots of pics

So as alot of you know I bought this 03 250 last year, rebuilt it, and raced HS's with it. Fell in love with the RM and figured it was worthy to really dress it up into the ultimate woods weapon this year.

Big end bearing went last month so there was lots of work to do......

List of repairs/ mods

-rebuilt an 04 crank for it as my crank ws toast. 04 crank is heavier (why I got it rather than 03) for more flywheel effect

- replated cylinder

- Wiseco piston kit

-Replaced toasted head with a Phathead going up one step on compresion for now 12:1

- new reeds

- replace every bearing, gasket and seal in the motor

- new airbox gasket, man that thing was rotted out

- new (to me) swingarm, linkage and rear shock on Ebay

-rebuilt rear shock, stock valving ,new seal head.

- rebuilt forks, kept my revalved from last year settings

- new front rotor and pads

-new excel/ talon rear wheel- old rear hub had spun a bearing

- new Excel front rim and spoke kit

- ground out casting marks on stock front hub and polished/ sanded it

- repainted frame

- rebuilt water pump

- new (to me) rads from Ebay

-Vortex ignition

-new OEM inner clutch basket with oiling holes driled out

-Hinson pressure plate

-EBC clutch plates and springs

-new Gnarly pipe

- Moose rear disc shark fin

- Fastaway Pegs and new peg pins

probably forgot a few thngs here.....

And mods already on the bike

-Hinson basket

-Vforce reeds

-ASV levers

- Skid pate, hand guards, rad and front disc guard

-SDG tall seat

-10 oz FWW

Repainted frame

oct11026.jpg

oct11028.jpg

Polished front hub

oct11020.jpg

oct11022.jpg

New Wheels

rims038.jpg

rims037.jpg

rims033.jpg

rims034.jpg

rmbuild024.jpg

Rebuilt motor in frame

rmbuild018.jpg

rmbuild037.jpg

rmbuild036.jpg

rmbuild032.jpg

Thats all for now, hopefully the motor gets fired up tonight if I get a chance here..

Beautiful job, definitely gonna have the ultimate woods weapon when she's done, if you can handle getting her dirty:smirk:

Beautiful job, definitely gonna have the ultimate woods weapon when she's done, if you can handle getting her dirty:smirk:

Thats why I'm taking lots of pics now. She'll never look this pretty again :lol:

Sweet looking bike Tribal, and I am glad to see you keeping a good yellow smoker going. My RM is my first and I absolutely fell in love the way the bike rides. :lol:

Looks good!

Since you're increasing the compression in two ways (head and Gnarly pipe) you must be running some high octane fuel?

I refuse to run race fuel and when I tried an FMF Gnarly I couldn't jet-away the spark-knock with anything other than the stock pipe (woods ridden 03 here too.)

Looks good!

Since you're increasing the compression in two ways (head and Gnarly pipe) you must be running some high octane fuel?

I refuse to run race fuel and when I tried an FMF Gnarly I couldn't jet-away the spark-knock with anything other than the stock pipe (woods ridden 03 here too.)

With my Gnarly and a 3mm pipe spacer I was running 1/3 Avgas to 2/3 pump. Now that I've raised the compression on the head I'm going 50/50. I also have another higher compression dome that will be straight AVgas. I got the head with 3 domes, stock compression and +1 and +2.

That is a nice buildup. I just picked up an 06 end of the summer. Going to be doing something similiar but for MX sometime this winter. As I get the funds and can keep my wife from noticing. LOL

Great looking setup man. I'm looking for a well cared for RM right now to do the same thing to. This thread makes me want to search further out instead of waiting for it to pop up close to home. Can't wait to see this one all together.

what paint did you use for the frame?

Automotive spray bomb, GM color match. Then I put 3 coats of clear coat over it. Hopefully it will last awhile......

Wasn't into spending the $'s for powder coating when the frame rub will happen in no time anyways.

Thanks alot everyone for all the compliments :lol:

Well we're getting real close now, just a few things to wrap up.

rmbuild1005.jpg

rmbuild1016.jpg

rmbuild1009.jpg

rmbuild1019.jpg

Vortex ignition switch, good on the fly :)

rmbuild1010.jpg

This build is going to be sweet! I wish more folks would post this stuff on here. This winter, I'll be putting up a few of my own.

Well ran into a good snag when I went to fire her up. Combination of lots of compression, bad jetting and a Fastaway footpeg and snap goes my kickstart lever. Well I dig out my old beat spare, put it on, open the airscrew a bunch and fire her up. Sounds very smooth and good but jetting is way off, I don't hold a idle and she stalls. Now with all this compression my old lever has too much play at the knuckle and rubs some paint of the corner of the frame, great :banghead:

Well a bunch more kicks with that lever and snap she goes :lol:

So now I'm waiting on a new kickstart lever :)

My jetting needs some work. I went one richer on pilot and clip, 3 up on main. I've done alo of mods here and it's cold out so I wanted to be on the safe side when first firing it up. But my gut feeling here is I'm way rich. Well waiting for a new kickstarter here to get her all sorted.

Looks real nice! love these rebuilds.... how did you clean the engine cases?