Sign in to follow this  

New noise in motor, do you know what it my be???

hey guys, my boys 93 cr125r has developed a new noise, obviously i can only hear it while its idling. when the clutch lever is out (engaged i think) it makes noise down in tranny,(not bad, but i can hear it) and when you pull in clutch its gone. does any one know the cause and the most likely culpriut of this?

i know on a car with manual tranny when it does this, its usually the input shalf BEARING. i donot know if it would be the same for a 2tmotor, prolly not. we are at the service limit in a few hours for a topend so it will be being pulled down next week or so if i can narrow down this issue i can do all at once. thanks guys, you are a very valuable asset in my garage. tony

It sounds as if you have a worn out clutch basket.

When you pull the bike down take the clutch basket out and see if there is side to side (rotational) play in the clutch basket.

I had a bearing go bad one time and it did that ('03 CR250). Mine was pretty noisy though. It was the bearing behind the clutch basket on the shaft that the clutch basket slides onto (don't know proper name of that shaft...).

yeah id just take a close look at all the clutch components, check to spec with the manual, if your striping the engine any way you may aswell change all bearings and seals wile ur in there, not expensive to do, dont go buying oem parts all the bearings you need can be bought from online bearing suppliers

also noise can come from the gear backlash if the gears have had some hammer clutch drive /and primary drive, min does the same, when idling

also check as said above the rivets in the clutch basket and worn rubbers

if the rivest are loose drill them out and tap the basket normal m6 thread and put some new c/s screws in with lock tight, that solves that problem

post any other things you come across while in the engine, good luck with the problems...hope u get it sorted