Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Cam Chain...

Need help with the cam chain timing!!!

Disassembled the top end to redo the valves and install a new piston.

The repair manual said to tie the cam chain up with a cable and keep tension on it. Unfortunately, the wire came loose and the chain fell into the lower end.

Now the issue it to line up the chains timing marks...the manual I have (Clymer) is of little help.

Does anyone now where I can find some good information on this?

I am a total novice when it comes to engine work but thought I would tackle this my self.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thank you

Chuck.

There is no need to line the chain up. When you put it back together, line the flywheel "T" up with the notch in the cover, install the cam with the lobes down and then line the two horizontal marks on the cam gear with the edge of the head and the third mark on the gear should be pointing up.

Summed up about two pages worth of info for you. It may seem like it is alot of work, but it is really easy.

Thank you for your post.

But what about the marks, if any on the sprocket on the bottom end. The chain came off the bottom sprocket.

I got the top end handled.

Thanks again.

Yep, like he said , just jiggle it around and maybe use a little flashlight and pull back and forth to get the chain back around the lower sprocket. Good to go.

Line up the flywheel T mark [ look through the little hole, turn the flywheel through the big center hole] and install the top sprocket.

When trying to get the cam chain back on the lower sprocket, just make sure it gets wrapped around the sprocket without a free link between two teeth.

After you think it is on the lower sproket, manually move the chain so the lower sproket turns and gets all teeth/links lined up.

But what about the marks, if any on the sprocket on the bottom end. The chain came off the bottom sprocket.

There are no marks on the lower sprocket... just on the flywheel. Kinda makes it easy huh. :lol:

Perc