Sign in to follow this  

Back to the Stocker Pipe 01' CR250R

All,

Ran the Stocker when first got the machine and then switched to a Gnarly Pipe for awhile. I used the Gnarly Pipe on some MX tight tracks and was very satisfied. I recently went back to the stocker because the mid range to top end run out was missed. I also noticed I was picking up bad habits with the Gnarly pipe. Did anyone switch back?

I bought my '02 with a Gnarly and after I crushed it beyond repair I put an OEM pipe on. I prefer OEM, the softer bottom and more linear pull works better for me to finess through the snotty rocks and roots. And when I do get enough space to unleash the CR, I like the extra top-end.

The PWK/OEM pipe ended up being the right combo for me, nearly as much bottom as the Gnarly/TMX combo with more linear power that pulls a lot further. YMMV

There are others who feel the Gnarly is the only way to go, run what ever works for you

my friend just picked up a stock pipe locally. perfect with only a few scratches for $50. will let you know what I think once we run it. I keep hearing the stock pipe is best, will be nice to try it out myself.

I messaged this guy for like 2 months trying to get this. no response to me, then my friend emails him and bam, its his. I got boned over but whatever.

The gnarly is not needed as badly on the 01 as on the case reed 02+. I like the gnarly it really helps keep clutch abuse to a minimum in the turns. I value bottom to mid pull over top end on mine, I don't get to stay on the main jet long on my local tracks. I even preferred it over stock on a few larger mx tracks like high point and steel city.( I wasn't man enough to always pin it there either) so it's been working well. It did pull a nice start on a gate full of 450's once, but that was a few years ago before the new crop of formula one 6000 hp motocrossers hit the sales floors...anyhow stock Honda pipes work well enough all around to keep on the bike until damaged.:lol:

Having that mid to top end rush alway on tap is why I own the bike in the first place. I do like the low end the gnarly brings but there is always a trade off.