Sign in to follow this  

I need a stock rear spring for a 300xc

I've got a progressive race tech spring and I think for the offroad stuff I'm riding the progressive spring is causing some issues.

It's soft up top and get's very stiff at the bottom, I'd like to try a stock 9.0 spring but not enough to buy a new one. Has anyone swapped one out and has an old one laying around??

9.0 springs are hard to come by. I don't think anyone wants to get rid of them... I know I don't.. I started with a stright rate 9 but ended up with a PDS 9.0 - 11.5

I've got a XCW at home but I don't know if the rate is the same as te XC. I'll check and make sure I still have it tonight.

I have an 8.8 that I may be able to part with. It depends on when I can get my shock revalved as the valving now is so soft that my tuner says I need the heavy spring to keep it up in the stroke. I need to be running about an 8.0, which is what it was supposed to be, but he rated it at 8.8. lucky me!

Otherwise, I have had great luck by putting a wanted to buy ad on ktmtalk.

Ok, I checked and I have a P25 racetech spring and they for my weight and bike want a P20. So I'm too stiff in the rear.

2009 300xc

I'm 215lb without gear and have stock front .44 springs. The stock spring is the 6.9 and I remember reading about a 9.0, I'm not sure where I came up with that.

My manual came is spanish and I can't read the darn thing, found a down load and according to it I need a 7.2 rear spring.

So I'd like to try a stock rear or something close the 7.2.

I'm done with the progressive spring, I don't jump much and it's kicking the crap out of me.

Sorry for the bad info and please add any info you feel is helpful. If I can buy a few springs and find one that works instead of buying all new ones and ending up with a garage full.

Ok, I checked and I have a P25 racetech spring and they for my weight and bike want a P20. So I'm too stiff in the rear.

2009 300xc

I'm 215lb without gear and have stock front .44 springs. The stock spring is the 6.9 and I remember reading about a 9.0, I'm not sure where I came up with that.

My manual came is spanish and I can't read the darn thing, found a down load and according to it I need a 7.2 rear spring.

So I'd like to try a stock rear or something close the 7.2.

I'm done with the progressive spring, I don't jump much and it's kicking the crap out of me.

Sorry for the bad info and please add any info you feel is helpful. If I can buy a few springs and find one that works instead of buying all new ones and ending up with a garage full.

You weigh about 5 lbs than I do without gear. I weigh 245 with gear and am getting correct sag with little preload on the 8.8. My bike weighs a little less than yours, so I would think we both need similar springs. 8.0 is what I have researched to need and am running 45's in the front with no issues. So far, haven't come close to bottoming, but I don't jump moto either. I do get some air off some water breaks and my valving keeps the forks from bottoming. I have ran them in the past and could easily get by now with 44's.

IMHO, a 7.2 will be too light.

What is your weight WITH gear?

The last time I checked I was 235 in gear, i try to keep the gear light but it's adding up. A neck brace is coming.

Still think it will be too light, but it will likely work, just need on the high end of preload. Nice thing about used springs is you can typically sell them for what you have in them, less a little shipping.

I prefer to err on the heavy side to help with the G outs, etc.

I weigh 170 and I'm very happy with a 7.2 so that's definitely too light for you. You should edit the thread title cuz you're not looking for a stock spring. I almost PMed you to sell the 6.9 that came on our bikes.

Not sure how to edit title?

I'd like to try a stock spring but it seems a 7.2 is called for and a size bigger real world recommended.

KTM parts listed up to a 7.6 for the largest spring for my bike. So now I have to figure out which one to try and find one hopefully used.

Are you set on buying a new spring?

there are plenty of used springs out there.

No I don't want a new spring, I'd like to find a used one. There is so much conflicting info on what spring I need I'm sure the first try will be wrong.

I've read a lot of your posts in the past and put a lot of faith in your opinion.

My manual lists a 6.9 as stock and a 7.2 and 7.6 as optional stiffer. I read on some other sites and they say 8.8 or up to a 9.2.

My stock fronts are .44 and work fine for me, I just want the rear to match and ride a little better.

My p25 rear should work by the charts of some but it doesn't. I've started to run some GP races that are VERY fast paced and I need it to settle down and track in the corners.

The rates came down when the newer chassis came out. I ran a 9.2 on my 05. Maybe some of the websites are just wrong. I only use the calculators as a guide. I know what has worked for me what i have seen work for others. I also know that the general rule of thumb is that going to the newer chassis, to drop rat by one to 1.2.

Also know that there will be a couple of sizes that will work, preload will vary and affect handling differently.

I have gone thru as many as 4 springs before and it is just a matter of experimenting. 8.0 will get you close and there was one that just sold on the other site. I actually was to buy it, but had it snaked out from under me. There is a 7.6 in the TT classifieds i believe. I have never seen a 7.8.

Have you tried adjusting the clickers to get the back end to behave the way you want? Try going stiffer on the rebound to help it reduce the kicking. The progressive springs can work very well. What do you have the race sag set at? It just doesn't sound like a spring issue from what you're describing.

No I don't want a new spring, I'd like to find a used one. There is so much conflicting info on what spring I need I'm sure the first try will be wrong.

I've read a lot of your posts in the past and put a lot of faith in your opinion.

My manual lists a 6.9 as stock and a 7.2 and 7.6 as optional stiffer. I read on some other sites and they say 8.8 or up to a 9.2.

My stock fronts are .44 and work fine for me, I just want the rear to match and ride a little better.

My p25 rear should work by the charts of some but it doesn't. I've started to run some GP races that are VERY fast paced and I need it to settle down and track in the corners.

I run a 7.2 and wish I had listened to earlier advice to run a 7.6 on my 2011. I weigh about 188 and with the 7.2 it's a stretch to get 108mm of sag.

I found a chart on ktm-parts that says my P25 spring in a 300 is for a rider of 245-285 lb, so I'm over sprung.

My sag if I set my race sag to 100 it's too harsh and tops out with every bump. I set my static sag at 25-30 and let the race sag go where it wants. Right now my problem is the spring gets to harsh when you are toward the bottom. Say your in a rutted corner and the g-force has you compressed say 1/2 way and then you hit some bumps, it kicks and deflects off them.

From what I see here I'm going to try an 8.0 and hope for the best, if not I'll be trying to sell it and going from there. I guess you must start somewhere.