Sign in to follow this  

KLR600 wont start and im clueless

i recently bought a old klr600 off road bike i was told by the previous owner that it had a problem with the starter motor, problem is its the electric start only engine.. before i went out and bought a new starter motor i wanted to make sure the bike runs so i towed it up and down the farm track a few times with the 4x4, tried bump starting it in second gear but it refuses to even fire.. does any1 have anything i could try to get it to start?? thanks

First, make sure you have fresh fuel in it. Drain the float bowl of old gas. If the bike has been sitting a while, the carb could be gummed up from old gas and need a good cleaning.

Since the starter isn't working you can't turn the engine over to see if you're getting spark, so try putting in a new plug and making sure the plug boot is securely fastened to the end of the coil wire. No looseness or corrosion.

If there is a kill switch on the handlebars make sure it's functioning properly, not corroded and such.

If there are any fuses in the ignition system, check/replace them.

Does this bike have an on/off ignition switch? I'm guessing it does if it's electric start. Make sure there are no shorts in the switch or wiring/connectors. The switch must be set to on/run before trying to pull start it.

Are you setting the choke to On?

If the fuel petcock is a vacuum feed type, check the vacuum line for its condition.

Check the carb vent lines to make sure they're not clogged with bugs, mud and such.

If the bike has any safety lock outs like clutch, neutral, or kickstand, make sure those switches are working or properly bypassed.

Edited by Trailryder42

hi and thanx for your reply trailryder im going to try all the things you have suggested then i will get back to you and let you know if i have got it running. time is just tight at the minute as we have had a new arrival to our family 2 days ago.. thanx again for your reply