Sign in to follow this  

my 125 locked up :(

hey guys

went rideing on the week end and as ive now got my cr250 i thought

id be nice and give my yz125 2000 model to my old man he has not rode in 13 years

all was going fine and having alot of fun untill my dad came around a bend wide open and then shifted from 3rd to 4th

all of a sudden the bike locked up and just about high sided him

problem is now

i can get 1st gear ..... i cant get nuetral

i can start the bike with the clutch in with 20 kicks release the clutch and everythign is fine , no noise's its just like normal , but soon as i go to click to 2nd its like it go's to 6th or a higher gear and just locks up and die's

im thinking a bearing has let go but i would think i would feel vibration or hear noise's

any idea what he has done ?

ive never split case's before

The trans is likely shot. Just make sure you check the shift mechanism inside your right side case before you get too paniced. If you need to split the cases it's not that bad. Really, it's not that bad. You will need to get some special tools though. You need a magneto puller, or take the engine or bike to your local shop. The tool is about 12 bucks so it's worth having. You will need a case splitter tool. About 65 bucks. You could use a crank puller too but actually you could probably get by without it. That is used to pull the cases back together. You will need a clutch spanner too to get the clutch nut off. You could get a tusk combo tool for that for around less than 20 bucks. It doubles as a magneto spanner for loosening and tightening the magneto nut. All these tools will work with other machines so it's worth getting them. Or you could pay the shop to do the work for you, spend way more money, and not end up owning your own tools. I guess what I am saying is that if you do it yourself you get the tools, experience and the repairs for less than the shop will charge you. While you are inside there, you might consider replacing the crank main bearings and the rod main bearing. Or buy a new crank.

The trans is likely shot. Just make sure you check the shift mechanism inside your right side case before you get too paniced. If you need to split the cases it's not that bad.

+1, particularly the part about checking the shift mechanism.

You can check it while the engine is still in the frame and its pretty cheap to replace if needed.

What you need to do is take off the clutch and the all the shift mechanism parts except the puller arm/wheel, and the star detent/back of the shift drum part (sorry those parts have so many different names on these forums).

Then put a rachet and socket on the nut that holds the star detent in and try and shift gears by applying medium to gentle pressure while someone spins the mainshaft counter-clockwise (the shaft the clutch sits on). Counter-clockwise pressure on the nut shifts up gears, clockwise pressure down shifts the gears.

On my yz125, this was the problem and I replaced the parts with a set off ebay, now its all good :lol:

+1, particularly the part about checking the shift mechanism.

You can check it while the engine is still in the frame and its pretty cheap to replace if needed.

What you need to do is take off the clutch and the all the shift mechanism parts except the puller arm/wheel, and the star detent/back of the shift drum part (sorry those parts have so many different names on these forums).

Then put a rachet and socket on the nut that holds the star detent in and try and shift gears by applying medium to gentle pressure while someone spins the mainshaft counter-clockwise (the shaft the clutch sits on). Counter-clockwise pressure on the nut shifts up gears, clockwise pressure down shifts the gears.

On my yz125, this was the problem and I replaced the parts with a set off ebay, now its all good :lol:

yeah its defiantly more then that

dropped the gear oil and found shatter'd bearing

and nice chunks of metal

among other bits

the shiftier bearing has pretty much exploded from what i can see as well

i just invested in a repair manual , time to bite the bullet and throw my self in the deep end

im thinking of doing a full complete rebuild

as it would make sense to as my case's are going to split apart

including piston rings and crank , replace all bearing's

and seal's

and anything else that's slightly worn or damaged

im just wondering now how much damage to my wallet would this do ?

im thinking around the $1200 ???

and is there anything else i might as well do while iv got it pulled down , should i just go a big bore and stroke kit and port and polish and adjust the head squish ?

i run 98 octane fuel in all my bikes

whats a rough price on a standard rebuild

and whats a rough price on a hectic rebuild for more power ?

Edited by xDCxSMOKE
spelling

im just wondering now how much damage to my wallet would this do ?

im thinking around the $1200 ???

?

yeah i think your in the ball park here, depends on whats wrecked in your tranny,if you messed the shaft/gears/forks you could be lookin at a hefty sum if you buy everything new, i would look for a used set, usaully go for couple hundred bucks for complette set, then just replace whats needed in the used one, and what ever else is ruined or you feel like changin, but i would recommned cleaning everything out, and replacing all the bearings

im thinking this would be the best way i should go being ill know everything will be sweet for at least 2 to 5 years would be just top end rebuilds

and knowing peace of mind the bottom end is 100%