Sign in to follow this  

Questions about my Larger Tank?

11272011188.jpgWell I picked up an aftermarket clear gas tank for my 03 drz400s. I asked the guy selling it if it was an IMS because he stated it was a 3.2g tank but he wasnt sure and after looking it over there were no marks stating what it was. Well I bought it (good deal) and today I decided to put it on. Now he mentioned that he had it on an 00 drz400 and an 06sm and said it fit perfect. Well today I noticed that after installing it I couldnt use the stock petcock as it hangs lower than the carb so i installed a new Raptor one and it works well. I aslo noticed that I had to push the seat forward and yank on the shrouds to make them line up. It seems to fit well otherwise. Heres a few pics, whatcha think it is?

11272011185.jpg

11272011183.jpg

11272011180.jpg

11272011187.jpg

Cool looks like $75 was a great deal as this thing is barely used. Craig, you drilled the holes on the back of the seat where it mounts into the subframe? I wonder if it would be worth it to make adjustments at the tank side of the seat?

Forgot to ask, would the stock petcock work with this tank? It hangs below the carb?

The stock petcock will still work as long as the gas level is above the carb float bowl.

Thanks. I guess I'll just stick with the raptor petcock, just have to remember to turn the gas on and off.

Note that there is a difference between fuel tank capacity and useable fuel available. All of the fuel in the tank below the carb float bowl is inaccessible to you, and you don't have as much fuel available to you as you might otherwise think. Knowing that might keep you from getting stranded even with a larger tank.

^^ The tank is above the float bowl so I should be alright. But I did notice that there is a small ticking noise coming from the motor, Im gonna keep an eye on it. Checked valve clearance and its on the tight end of the spectrum but ok.

That's the exact set up I installed on my bike a couple weeks ago.

(3.2 IMS with Raptor petcock)

Shrouds and seat took a little muscle and tweeking but fit with out any mods. I put a little greese on the bushings under the seat to help get it in place.

I ride off road only and had this bike at all different angles. This set up flows fuel very well. You should be happy with it.

C.B.