Sign in to follow this  

New 07 CRF250X owner, got questions!

He guys I just came of an 07 kxf250 to the crf250x reason bein is because I ride woods, race some SORCS events and just wanted a great handling woods bike. 1st thing I noticed is this bike doesn't rev to the moon like the kxf does, it signs off pretty early, what can I do to improve rev? Unplug the pink wire? It has an fmf 4.1 slip and a 280 piston and rings, which I guess is a big bore kit, but thats all its got for the motor. I've heard about an airbox mod, pink wire mod and R jetting... Can anyone explain these for me? I love this bike, its so easy to ride, and ride fast in the woods, over rocks, roots, chop, etc.. And its like a pig up hills, it goes effortlessly without stalling, and thats why I love this bike, its just fun and effortless to ride! But coming off such an aggressive bike to this, I'm thirsting for some improvements! What gearing is stock and whats everyone running for the woods? Any tips, tricks and help would be very appreciated! Thanks guys, and I'm glad to be back with the Honda family!:lol:

Edited by GoonSquadRMZ450

You won't get a 280 to rev like a 250, a r cam and r headpipe will help but it'll never rev on the top like it will as a 250. You will need to learn to short shift. Open the airbox by cutting the top off along the inside of the frame rails. Or pull the airbox and cut it per the CCC mods (if you don't get in deep water). I ran a 152 main, 45 pj and lift the stk needle up one clip, buy an adjustable fuel screw (Kouba), depending on year you might oring the ap linkage. No need for R jetting or kits.

I run in the woods with 13/51 gears and gear up for desert. You can get it to steer better in the woods by sliding the forks up ~8mm and making sure you don't have too much sag. In the roots and nasty stuff run the HS on the shock wide open, reduce the outer chamber fork oil to 325cc. If your heavy and need new springs, better that than winding too much preload in the shock. A lightly wound heavy spring will move a bunch faster in the gnarly stuff than a wound up light spring.

All the things you say you love about the bike is because of what it is, i have an07 CRF 250 R, & an 08 CRF 250 X Stock.....i'm much faster on the X in an enduro setting....the MX track the R is the deal.

Get your suspension done for you, a good set of bars for you....& ride fast inn the woods :lol:

Nevermind, that deal fell through with that bike because I found a nicer one late last night on CL. Picking this one up tommrow, but its an 07 that is completely babied and stock, which I feel better getting. Big bore kits and alot of engine mods make me a bit nervous. I found an 06R header and muffler for $50. I heard this is a great, cheap way to boost performance on the X, and it will fit my 07, is this true? I'm gonna get that, pull the pink wire, and do the airbox mod. With that being done, what do I need to do for jetting? Just go bigger on the main? Are these 3 things considered the CCC mods? I just started researching these bikes the last few days so I'm a little behind you guys, but I'll be up to speed soon, I'm going way back on this forum reading everything!

no, only the 04 , 05 R exhaust fits any year X

The ccc mods came out in 04, r cam, jetting, airbox and unground the pink wire, r headpipe and uncorked X muffler.

IMHO, there are better cams now, the ccc jetting isn't needed (the main size is about right) but you don't need the needle and your stock leak jet works better.

whats cool about the honda is you have so many ways you can put it together, without spending much money. Lots of parts out there.

Edited by highmarker

If you are looking to loose a couple of lbs off the bike, look into a lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) battery. Shorai and Ballistic both make them. Since the battery is up high, the reduction will reduce the center of gravity a tad. You "might" notice a little bit of difference in the handling, depending how sensitive you are to changes in handling.

On a side note, I would go through the bike and clean and regrease all the critical pivots (i.e. wheel, linkage, swingarm, steering, shock, etc. bearings).

Gotcha, will do! I see it takes 2 different oils in the motor.. How much and what weight on each one are yall using?

I use Rotella T (15W-40) in both sides. I will probably try out the Rotella T6 5W-40 soon.

The service manual states 10W-40 for both sides (and even suggests GN4 or HP4 for both sides), however, it also states that different viscosities can be used and it gives a chart for viscosity vs average ambient temperature. So, generally, a thicker oil is better for summer time, and thinner oil for winter time.

Got it thanks. How do I uncork the muffler? And is buying a 04-05 R head pipe off Ebay for $50 worth the money??

I believe its just a bolt or two that holds the baffle in the stock muffler. I don't remember. Someone else can probably answer that for you with certainty. You will probably find a stray bolt somewhere near the end of the muffler that holds the baffle in. Just loosen it and it should come out.

As far as the R head pipe, it will take away some of the bottom end and give some more top end. The power shift is enhanced more with the R cam. So whether it is worth it or not, well that depends. If you right pretty tight woods, you may prefer the X header more, and vice versa.

If needing a baffle/spark arrestor is not of importance, an R muffler will also help some since it flows more freely, plus it is about 3-4 lbs lighter.

NOTE: With any changes you make to the exhaust, you will need to re-jet!

Got it thanks. How do I uncork the muffler? And is buying a 04-05 R head pipe off Ebay for $50 worth the money??

Goon, The 04-06's have a removable baffle. There is one allen or torx bolt on the inside tip of the muffler. Remove the bolt and the baffle will pull right out. Not sure about the 07's. I think thats the year that Honda changed the baffle configuration and made it not removable. However if this is what your bike has, I think you can remove the 3 bolts that hold the entire end plate on the can and get to the baffle that way. Check out www.rickramsey.net for more info about drilling the baffle.

Heres what I know, i have an 04 250x, i came with a white brothers xcr slip-on, and the stock muffler... it has a jd jet kit in it, and it runs flawlessly with both pipes... jetting doesnt SEEM to be that much different with different pipes, I didnt notice much of a power difference with my XCR, but it may have a better top end. If you want more top end, get a stage 2 hot cam... it shouldnt DIRECTLY affect durability, but since you'll be revving it out more youre likely to need to shim and replace valves more often. BUT GET AFTER IT, QUIT TALKING, START RIDING :lol::banana::):banana:

I finally got to ride it for a few hours after work. I just picked the bike up lastnight. Been itching to do some night riding now that I finally have a headlight. Stock light def is a bitch to see with at night. I did order the PIAA white light bulb for it, it was $30 from Rocky Mtn, it seemed to have alot of good reviews. Whats everyone else using for lighting?!