Sign in to follow this  

whats best to clean motor parts

the motor is a rmz 450 but nobodys ever on the rmz page and this post has nothing to do with the brand, im wondering whats the best way to clean engine cases and other parts without damaging bearings and seals, thanks

Diesel fuel is an excellent solvent for cleaning internal engine parts.

you ever try the general forum? lol

General forum is behind the curve when it comes to maintenance issues. It's mostly 18 and under looking for the cheapest black plastics, but I always try there first too. A good source for guys with tech savvy is the ktm forums, Honda forums and the suspension forum and exotics.

Eagle One mag cleaner ( for cast wheels) works great on bare aluminum engines....BUT USE IT AND RINSE SOON I have had KTM bolts start to rust after prolonged use, it has some acid in it,,,.... but it makes engines look new, works on calipers, bottom of forks and KTM cast swing arms too ...keep it off your fork tubes or anything anodized...

who knows where I can get black plastic and skull graphics.......:lol:

If you are talking disassembled cases, I buy new 5 gallon paint buckets from Wally World and use diesel fuel. Drop the case half in, poor a couple gallons of Diesel in and use a synthetic cheapo paint brush and tooth brush. I follow up with brake cleaner when a dry oil free surface is needed (like Yamahas that use Yamabond instead of a gasket).

If you are cleaning the out side after a ride, "Maxima Clean UP" is the best stuff I have ever used (better than Odorless Mineral Spirits):

0000-Maxima-Clean-Up-Multi-Purpose-Degreaser---.jpg

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TR_530516

It washes off with water and you wont even need a tooth brush unless you have caked on build up! :lol:

ok, i think i'll be either using gas or paint thinner, diesel smell just dosent go away, and i definalty wont be allowed to use the dish washer haha

If you use a harsh solvent like paint thinner (even gas can do this) it will most likely swell up the seals and o-rings. This can cause them to be damaged upon re-assembly (they will increase in size a large amount) unless you allow some time for them to shrink back down. The time it takes for this to happen varies. I would give it at least 1 warm day before putting back together...