Sign in to follow this  

Transmission problems.

Last weekend Myself and 4 friends raced the Baja 1000. We raced it on a 2008 Klx450. The only other time other than a few shorts test sessions this bike has been rode was at the 2011 Baja 500.After the 500 the motor was completely ripped down and rebuilt. I am looking to see if anyone has had this same thing happen. We were 60 miles from the finish of the 1000 so basically the bike had gone about 670 miles with out any signs of failure or problems. While in a pit they were adjusting the lights and one of our guys revved the bike slightly and held it too make sure we were getting an even charge to the lights. All of the sudden bike dropped itself into gear and the motor stopped immediately, no one was near the shift lever when this happened. They got the bike started and rode it around the pits. The only gear that seemed to be affected was 2nd. So the decision was made to limp it in to the finish. Well 7 miles in from the pit the bike locked up. We tore the motor down and 3rd gear has some pits and wear to it 1st and 2nd are fine. 4th and 5th have obvious damage but not enough that one would think it would cause it to lock up. As of now it does not look like anything else let go inside the transmission or the motor, with the clutch in will kick through no problem. I am just trying to pick your brains. I have done a lot of endurance type racing on the KLX and have never had a major mechanical like this.

sorry to hear about the DNF especially at the 1000. I raced 1600 buggies and it sucks when you get that close to the finish and have problems.

Slackkinhard, The first thing we did was lay the bike over and pull the starter gear out of the bike. Is there more to the starter system that could cause problems if the main starter gear is removed?

Thanks yz400

I had an issue where 3rd gear fused to the shaft and was not moving freely. It would fail to allow 2nd gear to fully engage as well. Had a whining sound on 2nd gear decel. Had to replace shaft and 3rd gear only. I believe it was an oil circulation and heat problem. Oil screen was a bit obstructed, but not exactly sure what went so wrong.