Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start

My 2005 CRF250R just got its engine redone (by a professional). I had the crank, piston, gaskets, everything except for the head done and it just dosent want to start. I dont know its because of the new internals but it just wont turn over. I try roll starting it and it just locks the rear tire. I try to kick it over and over with no sign of turning on. I dont know if its the carb or what.

Please help!!!

I guess the terminology is killing me. Does the engine turn over like it wants to start but won't, or is the engine locked up and won't kick at all. I think you mean that it won't start but the engine turns over. The first thing you need to do is crack the throttle a few times with the choke on and see if it tries to start. The valves would be my next guess then the carb.

New valves may tighten up as they break in. They shouldn't move much but there is very little clearance to begin with when adjusted properly. That's why they recommend a valve adjustment right after break-in on a new bike.

New valves may tighten up as they break in. They shouldn't move much but there is very little clearance to begin with when adjusted properly. That's why they recommend a valve adjustment right after break-in on a new bike.

He pretty much had everything else done minus any head work. At least that's what I got out of the post.

He pretty much had everything else done minus any head work. At least that's what I got out of the post.

DOH! I didn't see that part until you pointed that out.

Did he even pull the valves out of the head to inspect and clean them? If he got the valves reversed when re-installing them, they could wear very quickly.

Time for new mechanic.

So can you physically turn the motor over, or is it hard to move? As in the motor is "stuck".

DOH! I didn't see that part until you pointed that out.

Did he even pull the valves out of the head to inspect and clean them? If he got the valves reversed when re-installing them, they could wear very quickly.

Don't feel bad, I blast through most of the threads and miss the important shit all the time! I guess between 300+ e-mails a day and trying to follow this stuff I tend to overlook things!

exact same thing happened to me on my 06 if you use a fourwheeler to pull you it will turn over lol but i did crank and piston but no valves or anything and now there are copper shavings in my filter......

Once the bike has a hard time idleing or seems to be real sluggish, that's usually a pretty good indication that the cranks on its way. Trying to pull it with a 4 wheeler to start it just helps the parts supplier make a few more dollars.

Bike wont kick start but will roll start is a classic symptom for valves.

Check clearances