Sign in to follow this  

Crf450x troubleshooting....suddenly lean

I have an 06 that has always ran great. Then on my last ride I stop for lunch and after coming out it won't start. When it does start it try's hard to stall and backfires when decelerating. I've checked the valves, intake is .006 and exhaust is .008/.009. I disassembled and cleaned the carb. Checked for air leaks with a can of ether, nothing. It seams to have suddenly leaned way out. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Matt

I have an 06 that has always ran great. Then on my last ride I stop for lunch and after coming out it won't start. When it does start it try's hard to stall and backfires when decelerating. I've checked the valves, intake is .006 and exhaust is .008/.009. I disassembled and cleaned the carb. Checked for air leaks with a can of ether, nothing. It seams to have suddenly leaned way out. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Matt

Replace the pilot jet, and clean the passage above it with a piece of soft bent wire and spray brake cleaner.

I pulled it back apart and cleans as you said only I cleaned to pilot with a wypo tip cleaner (didn't have another). It still seems to be the same. I'll try and get a new jet tomorrow

I pulled it back apart and cleans as you said only I cleaned to pilot with a wypo tip cleaner (didn't have another). It still seems to be the same. I'll try and get a new jet tomorrow

Did you use a 'loop' and a bright light, and inspect the inside of the jet? That's where is usually cannot be cleaned.

I'll pick up a new jet today and see what it does

I put a new pilot jet in it. Same results. I'll look into the hot start now

Hm i deleted my previous comment but, there's an odd chance that timinig chain skipped a tooth and timing is off now..

go back to the hot start, an easy check run the bike at idle, pull the hot start if revs go up its ok ,if nothing changes bingo.:lol:

I used a very small piece of tig wire. It seams to go a ways up there and hit some sort of seat. I'll try and find some even smaller and see if it goes further. Right now it goes about an inch below the base of the threads pilot goes into

I used a very small piece of tig wire. It seams to go a ways up there and hit some sort of seat. I'll try and find some even smaller and see if it goes further. Right now it goes about an inch below the base of the threads pilot goes into

It will do all the way if you curve the wire; 26 gauge works

From the bowl I got it about 3" up there when I curved it. Still same problem. I tried hot start while it was running and that killed it.

From the bowl I got it about 3" up there when I curved it. Still same problem. I tried hot start while it was running and that killed it.

Add a little hot start should raise the rpm's. Since you are already very lean, it kills it.