Sign in to follow this  

Storing bike for winter

I've got a question about storing my 2007 yz250f that I bought this year. When storing my bikes for winter time in past years I would just turn the petcock off, and let it die. This way I could start it up and run it once or twice a month during winter. I've been reading posts and it seems everyone is saying to run stabilizer, drain tank, then drain float bowl. My question, is it better to run stabilizer and turn off petcock until bike dies so I can still start it regularly (drain tank in spring and put new gas in), or drain the bowl and not run it for 3-4 months?

I've had the best luck completely draining the tank and carb for storage, then when ready to ride dump in some fresh gas and go. This is for a bike with a plastic tank, a carb (not FI), and no battery.

I take all body panels off and clean the frame then drain carb and tank,change all the fuids and regrease.I also pour a little premix in the cylinder and dont start it till spring.Im in the process right now lol.

001-16.jpg

FYI starting the bike up every couple weeks just to rotate the gas is hard on the engine. Oil flows down from gravity, so when starting many parts only have a thin film of oil on them.

Drain tank and float bowl.

Right, but you've got to start it regardless. I've always heard the worst thing for a motor, is to sit.

Guys are you just adding Stabil to the gas to keep it fresh till spring, or are you adding it and running it so it gets into the carb and preserves it somehow?

Just got my old bike back so I'm leaning towards draining everything, no sta-bil, and fresh everything in the spring!

Right, but you've got to start it regardless. I've always heard the worst thing for a motor, is to sit.

Only time you have to start it is when you plan on using it, any other time, except for tuning is frivolous.

Depends on how long it's sitting. 5 months- it's worse to start it every other week than let it sit without gas in the carb.

40 years- start it every couple weeks.

Only time you have to start it is when you plan on using it, any other time, except for tuning is frivolous.

Depends on how long it's sitting. 5 months- it's worse to start it every other week than let it sit without gas in the carb.

40 years- start it every couple weeks.

Right, but I think were just sort of splitting hairs here. Only time it needs starting is for use, well I like to start it well before that to make SURE it CAN be used....

I'm just sort of trying to figure out what's best for the bike.

1. Starting it and letting Stabil get into the carb and cut it off

2. Drain everything/ Start fresh/ No stabil

3. :lol:

If you are serious about storage or have concerns about survival of the bike over a cold winter consider using 2T fogging oil to prep the engine, available at most outboard shops. Fog the engine and then drain all gas out of the carb and tank. Bike is now safe for the winter if you keep it under cover and out of the weather. I have a twenty year old large V6 2T outboard that still runs like new because it gets this treatment each fall. New plugs in the spring and it is ready to go. The engine has also only run OEM injector oil.

let it sit in the garage with a full tank of fuel if you like, start it up in spring. End of the day, it's a dirtbike, not an effing sewing machine. But it's nice to take the precautions to make yourself feel better

Right, but I think were just sort of splitting hairs here. Only time it needs starting is for use, well I like to start it well before that to make SURE it CAN be used....

I'm just sort of trying to figure out what's best for the bike.

1. Starting it and letting Stabil get into the carb and cut it off

2. Drain everything/ Start fresh/ No stabil

3. :)

the most wear occurs when an engine is cold.

if you want whats best for your engine, leave it ´till spring. or do some proper maintenance.

if you want whats best for YOU, then start it up whenever you like. :lol:

Just ride it??

Winter's no reason to put the bike away. Stud up some tires and ride!

If I were to put my bike away for a while... Clean everything up. Hose it down, clean up the chain goo on the engine case, wash the air filter, etc. Do an oil change, then run around the neighborhood for 10mins or so to get everything up to temp and circulate the new oil. Shut off the petcock and let the float bowl run dry. Drain the fuel that's in the tank and siphon it into the truck. Slap the battery on a tender and hug the bike goodnight.

When you do get around to firing it back up, I'd just pull the carb apart and clean it all up. Check the valves, check the oil and coolant level, tire pressures, check the torque on the pinch bolts/axle bolts/triple clamp/handlebars, check chain tension, check the air filter to make sure no mice have found it... fill it with fresh 91 and fire it up. I'd change the oil at 50-75% of your normal service interval.

What I've done with the sled (big two-stroke twin) during the summer when I don't tear it all apart is just fire it up once or twice a month... get it up to operating temp so the t-stat opens and circulates some coolant... then shut it down again and do a snow dance.

I hear that taking off your o-ring chain and putting it in a bag of grease keeps the o-rings lubed so they don't dry out and crack. I'll be doing this, this season.

My question.

Someone once said that leaving the bike on the stand all winter may dry out your shock seals. They say it's good to take it off the stand and rock the bike around, getting things moving again. This season when I took my bike off it's stand, I noticed one seal was leaking on my forks - it hadn't been off the stand all winter, it was stored in a heated shop.

I've got a question about storing my 2007 yz250f that I bought this year. When storing my bikes for winter time in past years I would just turn the petcock off, and let it die. This way I could start it up and run it once or twice a month during winter. I've been reading posts and it seems everyone is saying to run stabilizer, drain tank, then drain float bowl. My question, is it better to run stabilizer and turn off petcock until bike dies so I can still start it regularly (drain tank in spring and put new gas in), or drain the bowl and not run it for 3-4 months?

Starting it regularly is NOT what you want to do. Forget the stabilizer (although I like to run it all the time just in case). 4-strokes are easy, because they all have drain screws in the carb. Here's the put-away procedure:

1) Wash your bike well

2) Start up bike and warm it up - take it for a quick spin up the street to dry the chain

3) Change oil (both sides if applicable) and engine filter

4) Lube chain

5) Pop fuel line and drain tank (don't forget to lay the bike over to empty both sides of the tank) - put gas in car

6) Crack drain screw on carb and drain bowl

7) Re-tighten drain screw and connect fuel line - leave fuel petcock open

Done - you can leave your bike in this state for several years. When ready to ride, simply fill up with gas and go!

Two strokes are slightly more of a pain, only because draining the bowl dumps gas all over the engine, which you then have to wash off.

JayC

Thanks guys for all the help. I know its a stupid question but I was worried about the carb getting clogged and im not an experienced enough wrencher to take the carb apart to clean. Ill be draining the gas out of it today :lol:

I'm kind of undecided on whether I want to just keep starting it up and circulating things or do the whole drain and sit...It'll be getting a fresh top end over christmas, along with new reeds and crank seals so I guess it really doesn't matter! Still don't want to hurt the bottom end though and don't want the carb to gum up. Lots of good info in here though fellers!