Sign in to follow this  

Replacement starter options for 300XCW

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement starter for a 2008 300XCW? It seems it's not listed on most sites' microfiche so I'm not sure what OEM cost but I'm sure it's pricey. I see EMS Global sells one for $200 on eBay. Any reviews on the EMS Global motor? Or does anyone know of other aftermarket options?

It's a 2-stroke, just kick it sissy. Haha just kidding, hope your ride went well. Jlow

Thanks, DMac.

JLow - kicking was the plan until my kickstarter bolt broke off. The more I learn about KTM reliability, the more I realize I need to have a plan B, like e-start. It was a great ride other than the kickstarter issues.

KTM part number 55140001000 -

$292.49 from ktm-parts.com

$280.22 from motosport.com

Ricks is looking REAL good..... and with a guarantee ??

I bought the $75 rebuild kit, but have not done it yet. Close to winter refresh time!

I rebuilt mine with the $24.95 kit off eBay and it worked pretty well as far as fixing the internal brushes. But the problem is now the teeth on the bendex - they're too chewed up to make solid contact.

I ended up ordering the EMS Global started off eBay for $200 shipped with the same 1 year warranty.

That kickstarter bolt is notorious. Mine's Loctited cuz I removed e-start and my auto-clutch prevents bump starting so I have no plan B. If your bike doesn't kick start easily your jetting's off.

A good battery with at least 120 cca also helps. The Slavens wet mod and a good battery solve the starter issue. Most times. The kickstrater bolt needs to be checked as well as the shifter bolt. It broke because it was loose. A good solid engagement makes the bendix work better thats why the bigger battery. Also stresses the starter less so the brushes last longer.

I just ordered a complete new starter from STOCKERS for $190, it hasn’t gotten here yet, need to have it for the snobike kit this winter.

I thought I needed a new starter when my 'new to me' 2009 300xc starter would spin but not start the bike, even when hot. After a little research I:

1) Pulled the starter & greased the moving parts.

2) Cleaned & regreased the starter gearing under the cover. They were dirty.

3) Added a fat, negative cable from the battery directly to the starter body.

Now she starts when hot!:bonk:

I've read after the Slavens wet mod, the vent mod, and a big (14 amp?) Shoria battery, she may start even when stone cold! With luck I'll be checking these additional mods out in January.

Edited by stevebaum
Clarification.

I've done the wet mod since new (now 160hrs), and the E-start always works from 0-40C as long as there is charge in the battery. Change the oil in it once a year.

Also, I added an overflow bottle to the wet mod because the oil would bubble out of the breather hose when the bike was hot.

I've done the wet mod since new (now 160hrs), and the E-start always works from 0-40C as long as there is charge in the battery. Change the oil in it once a year.

Also, I added an overflow bottle to the wet mod because the oil would bubble out of the breather hose when the bike was hot.

How much oil did you add? I am surprised there is enough oil to reach a breather tube? The wet mod says only about 1.5-2 oz of fluid. The rubber where the electrical goes in/out of the case is up fairly high?

In the Slavens video of the starter wet mod he said to add 4 oz of oil. I know this because I just watched the video & added 4 oz of fork oil & a vent two days ago. (I haven't ridden the bike yet.) Have other people had issues w/ 4 oz?

In the Slavens video of the starter wet mod he said to add 4 oz of oil. I know this because I just watched the video & added 4 oz of fork oil & a vent two days ago. (I haven't ridden the bike yet.) Have other people had issues w/ 4 oz?

4 is to much and he has corrected himself on that somwhear, you only need 2 very max not even.

Good golly you are right,! On the YouTube site in the comments section he wrote we only need 1-2 oz of oil, not the 4 he stated during the video.... Why didn't he post that on his own website video as well? (Or did I just miss it?.)

Now I have to get 2-3 oz out!