New rider yz250f 2008

Hi all just recently bought a yz250f 2008 for my first big bike, picked it up reasonably cheap which I was happy about but has fairly high hours (144) on the timer. Bike seems well maintained from what I can see and starts first kick 90% of the time.

I've previously had a pitpro 140cc (yes I know cheap crap) and only slightly played around with stuff so my knowledge of bikes is very limited.

My question is with the bike at the many hours what should I get looked at or can be expecting to happen shortly?

Cheers Scott (Australia)

Hi all thanks for the replys. Yeah I just gotta find a English version of the owners manual so I can keep on top of the maintanence side of things.

I've found the plug people are using but what about oil, is there a specific brand mixture that people are finding better then the rest???

Hi all thanks for the replys. Yeah I just gotta find a English version of the owners manual so I can keep on top of the maintanence side of things.

I've found the plug people are using but what about oil, is there a specific brand mixture that people are finding better then the rest???

ive been using rotella 15w-40 for the longest time, if i have castrol 4 stroke motorcycle on sale i will buy a box of that, just make sure its the right kind?

Congrats on your YZ!!

Once you get your manual, live by it, and you should be fine. Yamaha but together a very solid bike for you to enjoy riding, not constantly wrenching. Before your first ride, lube everything up, (axels, bearings, etc) change the air filter, oil, and oil filter.

Enjoy:thumbsup:

it wont hot start? maybe worn rings? but being a yamaha at 144 hours it should be right.. one of my yamaha's have 250 hours. you could expect bearings to give out in the future and probably the linkage bearings. the bad hot starting could also be because of the valves but being a yamaha i wouldnt think so. if you have the money maybe put it in the shop and get the valves checked and a new top end put in. possibly a cam chain. since your in australia i would run castrol active 4t 10w-40. its amazing oil. i run it in both my yzf's and road bike. what part of australia are you from?

I live in Adelaide, yeah I was going to take it to get a service and look over before me first ride but ran out of time. Is there anywhere I can buy the manual in just english or do I download the 680 page 5 langauge thing?

Choke and hot start at the same time cancel each other out. Hot start makes it leaner, and choke makes it richer.

Sometimes after the bike has been tipped over (and flooded), it can help to slowly open the throttle all the way and give it a few kicks to flush out the flooded mixture.

valves checked, check the plug and service the swing arm and linkage as sleepy head said before those bearings turn to dust. we run yama lube 20-50 in the engine, never had any prob yet. good luck. btw how much did the bike cost ya, if ya don't mind me askin?

Sorry I worded that incorrect, what I ment to say was try without the choke kicked a few times nothing, tried with choke and nothing. I paid around the $4500 AUD which is a decent price down here in AUS over there I think you guys get alot cheaper.

thats pretty decent price for 08 model.i wouldn't think it the valves but maybe. my mates honda did the same thing and it needed new top end. check and see if its burning oil. yamaha valves dont go out of adjustment that often. maybe a leak some where meaning its sucking air? thats my guess