Sign in to follow this  

Broken Needle Jet x 2 ?

Okay...just picked up a 89 kdx 200 for $250 ...didn't bother negotiating with owner and paid full price without starting the bike, as I was told that the bike was running good before they drained the fluids and put the bike away.....hmmmm?

Got the bike home put in some oil, gas and coolant.....checked the plug for spark, finger checked for compression, felt good. Cranked a few dozen times...nothing, then decided to spray a little ether into the intake.....and she started and then died.

Ripped the carb apart..noticed there was no knob on the choke assembly? Pilot was all gummed up...Needle was very bent, quite obvious.

Put everything back together and she ran, but idled really high...throttle seemed to be sticky. She was smoking pretty bad too...then the kdx started to not idle at all and was bogging out. Noticed a lot of gunk built up outside of exhaust port.

Shut off the bike and noticed coolant (and sludge) coming out of the exhaust...great. Also noticed milky gear oil...great. also noticed oil coming out of the output shaft...great. Brakes don't work...great. Also, took out the carb and the needle was sitting down in the needle jet shaft.

Decided to change the head gasket last night, put in a new outplut seal and painted the plastic (nice). Put in the nearest needle I could find (think it was from a CR125). Also took my kdx175 throttle cable and switched it to the kdx200.

Anyways...drove the bike for a few gears and was smiling until the green machine started bogging out. Everytime i got her started she bogged out and died unless I used a little choke.

Gave up and opened up the carb and found another needle sitting broken in the needle jet shaft.

What gives? I have a feeling the lower end of this carb (needle jet sleeve) is worn out causing the needle to shear off right at the base where you adjust the needle height. Any ideas?

My gues would be someone just had a habit of bending them when putting the carb cap back on. Put in a new straight needle and see how it does.

I did put a straight needle on and that broke too....my guess is the brass sleeve is bent, scratched, and causing the needle to jam up?

I did put a straight needle on and that broke too....my guess is the brass sleeve is bent, scratched, and causing the needle to jam up?

i would agree, replace it.

what clip position is needle in? if in lowermost it could come all the way out of guide and catch on edge causing breakakge.

what clip position is needle in? if in lowermost it could come all the way out of guide and catch on edge causing breakakge.

the throttle would just stick wfo at that point, its not a push/pull and the return spring wont break a needle

Replaced the carb today and didn't break the needle yet....however when i started the bike for the first time the idle won't come down, kill switch didn't work, unplugged sparke plug...that didn't work either? turned off fuel and it died....what gives with this $250 nightmare....LOL

put the "honda" needle at the richest position (moved needle up) and didn't have an issue with killing the engine with the kill switch....richened up the mix cuz I started to see a little smoke. Needle didn't break so I am ready to install the correct 1173 tomorrow along with dialing in the correct jets....

put the "honda" needle at the richest position (moved needle up) and didn't have an issue with killing the engine with the kill switch....richened up the mix cuz I started to see a little smoke. Needle didn't break so I am ready to install the correct 1173 tomorrow along with dialing in the correct jets....