xr650r need more power

I got a 650r that i street ride I would like a little more power its un corked jetted and has a slip on muffler my buddy has a stock 450 and he kills my 650 do any of you know a way i can get some more power out of it without sacrificing reliability i was thinking about trying porting and or a cam just trying to do a little research i dont want to spend a ton of money and im also looking for some supermoto wheels and info would be great thanks guys

I got a 650r that i street ride I would like a little more power its un corked jetted and has a slip on muffler my buddy has a stock 450 and he kills my 650 do any of you know a way i can get some more power out of it without sacrificing reliability i was thinking about trying porting and or a cam just trying to do a little research i dont want to spend a ton of money and im also looking for some supermoto wheels and info would be great thanks guys

Wheres he killing ya? Cause your six fiddy would own him at 60mph +, what gearing is he running and yourself in comparison, easiest thing would probs be a stage 1 or 2 hotcam?

Porting is a waste or time on this head, Slap in a stage two cam,new valve springs,mill the exhaust cut outs on the piston 40 thou (just in case too much giggle throttle) And a FULL pipe system. This will REALLY help....without too much cost. But the fact is them 450s' rev way faster and weigh 60 pounds less. I hate them bass dards!

Iv'e had this set up for the past 4 years with no 'real' issues. The only thing i had to do was change the stock carb to a pumper edel,it got rid rid the off idle "stalls" from the big cam.

Oh yes,,,i had some evidence of ex valves touching the piston when i replaced the piston (stock) this year. Hence "mill the piston"

Step 1, pumper carb.

Step 2, new exhaust.

Step 3, hot cam.

Step 4, hi comp piston.

Go the carbie first, bolt on power, gives the R lots more "snap". Highly recommended.

If you need more after that try the exhaust, if your going to open her up and change out the cam you might as well get a hi compression piston in at the same time.

Be prepared for the rush of power that these mods deliver.?

what kind of carb? i can get a fcr pumper carb from a crf450 a lot cheaper than a edlebrock would that work or should i get the edelbrock and does the hi compression piston and cam stage 1 or 2 hurt reliabilitiy and do i need to cut the piston for valve clearance sorry about all the questions guys just want to do this right and once

what kind of carb? i can get a fcr pumper carb from a crf450 a lot cheaper than a edlebrock would that work or should i get the edelbrock and does the hi compression piston and cam stage 1 or 2 hurt reliabilitiy and do i need to cut the piston for valve clearance sorry about all the questions guys just want to do this right and once

FCR41 old or MX type carb,keyhole bored to 43mm .Check my 680 project bike.?

An FCR will not fit your XR650R without modifying the gas tank. I bought my spare FCR from an XR650R owner who got it to use on his bike... wouldn't fit:busted:

what kind of mods would i have to do to the tank to fit the carb

I haven't read about a method to make an FCR work that I would consider using. I have read about guys heeating the underside of their gas tank enough to reshape the spot that interferes with the carb.