Sign in to follow this  

How do I check fork oil level on my '05 KTM

I have an '05 KTM 450 EXC, and one leg is leaking a bit. Not wanting to get into the seals just yet, I thought I'd take the caps off and add oil to the leaker 'til it is the same as the non-leaker, and be OK for another ride. With the bike on a stand, I took the caps off, I saw I was dealing w/ forks I'd never dealt w/ before. My manual calls for 110mm air cushion. I'm assuming that means from the top of the leg (outer tube) down to the oil? I've done this on older bikes using a dip stick to measure. To my surprise, there's no oil visable. I jacked up the front wheel, allowing the springs and caps (still connected to the rods) to rise up out of the tubes as far as they'd go. Still no oil visable. I've got the feeling I don't have a clue, and am missing something. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

you have to have springs out and damper rods in the fork , by the time you do that you can change the seals

Ok. So how do I measure the oil level? From the top down? With the forks compressed or extended? Should the damper rods be compressed or extended? As for the seals, I'm going to try pulling out the dust seals and clean them and the cavity out. I've heard that sometimes works. Thanks.

There are a couple oil level tricks explained in this video. I normally make a "T" out of zip ties and measure. Replacing the fork seals isn't that difficult, and there are some videos out there on open cartridge forks that are on your bike.

You could drain the non leaking fork into a ratio rite and measure how much came out. Drain the leaker and add amount that came out from the good side to each. I changed mine by this method on my 2005 exc 450.

Drained 375ml from each, replaced same amount. Found some bottoming on a couple jumps so added 50ml to each. This brought it up to max volume of 450ml each.