Sign in to follow this  

2007 kx250f Cracked Cases

Hey guys,

I cracked my cases in a race and need to replace them. I took my bike to Malcolm Smith in Riverside and they wanted $2400 for cases, new clutch and labor.

So far I have stripped my whole bike down and took everything off including the radiators and whole back end. I need to just pull the motor out. I took the mounts off the motor and cant seem to squeeze it out. Any advice?

Hey guys,

I cracked my cases in a race and need to replace them. I took my bike to Malcolm Smith in Riverside and they wanted $2400 for cases, new clutch and labor.

So far I have stripped my whole bike down and took everything off including the radiators and whole back end. I need to just pull the motor out. I took the mounts off the motor and cant seem to squeeze it out. Any advice?

I have an extra 07 motor in my garage. The guy I bought my 07 from had replaced the motor, the entire motor, I guess he got it off ebay for a good deal. Anyways if you want it, I can sell it to you. All the parts are there except the ignition and clutch cover, which are on my bike. He said the piston had burned up, so I'm guessing the top end needs a rebuild... I dunno if that would help, but I got it!:lol:

Pull the motor out from the sprocket side with the bottom end coming out first. You could find a bottom end of eBay for $600, an entire motor for $1500. Seems silly to drop $2,400 into a bike that is 4 years old.

My engine is fine. I am just trying to get my engine and cases out of my bike frame.....

Hey guys,

My engine is fine. I am just trying to get my engine and cases out of my bike frame.....

I don´t get it, one minute it´s broken and the other it´s fine? They were not bagging on you or your bike when they pointed out it was 4 or 5 years old, they just wanted to help you make the correct (cheaper) decisions in your repair quest.

Seriously do not pay 2400 to fix that bike. You can buy a nice 07 for $2400. Whoever gave you that price is completely trying to rip you off. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear but its the truth. Save yourself some $

My engine is fine. It runs well.

My cases are cracked making me un able to down shift. So i was planning on just changing cases and what ever i find broken on the inside. I know i need a new clutch any recomendations?

also any recomendations on preventing cases from cracking in the first place.

PJz400: i agree, i will look on ebay for some cases.

Let me know if i am unclear?

So far I have broken down my engine and Transmission and found that the shifter rod had broken the guide clean off the case, causing the shifter rod to slip through the case and be unable to shift down, and cause jamming. The shifter rod runs through the case to where the gears connect and the rod gear sits on a guide, which is a small rod that sticks out of the case. Unfortunately this small piece of the case is making me get a brand new set of cases, because the websites I have looked for parts on only sell these cases in pairs. I am looking at $500+ for cases and some new gasket seals for top end and clutch/ generator covers.

Anyone know where I can buy individual Crankcases for under $350???

Also any advice for an alternative for a bearing press and puller ?

Also this seems like a defect in cases, does Kawasaki do warranty on these?

Hopefully I can be back and running for the beginning of the Race season in January.

I was kinda of stretching on that one, for any hope of not breaking the bank.

Had to replace cases in my 05.. One side was damaged.. I bought a used side from someone off this forum and it worked with the other side.. They are matched but it will most likely work if you get just one side..

Had to replace cases in my 05.. One side was damaged.. I bought a used side from someone off this forum and it worked with the other side.. They are matched but it will most likely work if you get just one side..

Yes, it will probably work since they are machined in the same jigs in the same way.

But they are machined and sold as pairs from Kawasaki.

If you are talking about the solid pin that is cast into a "boss" in the case that the shifter arm "teeth" ride on, this happened recently to us to our 05 KX250f. The clip securing the front sprocket failed, causing the front sprocket to come off and lodge itself between the frame and the foot shifter, this bent the foot shifter as well as the shifter arm, breaking the cast-in pin. We had it welded back in by a good welder. Even though he couldn't weld it exactly where it was broke, there is a significant "valley" around the pin that he was able to fill in and is ultimately stronger than original condition. After the weld job, he did need to dremel a bit around a bearing if I remember correctly. His name is Chester, he is the long time owner of Nevada Motorcycle Specialties in Reno. He is a well known doer of the impossible! $75, we didn't miss a race.

If you are talking about the solid pin that is cast into a "boss" in the case that the shifter arm "teeth" ride on, this happened recently to us to our 05 KX250f. The clip securing the front sprocket failed, causing the front sprocket to come off and lodge itself between the frame and the foot shifter, this bent the foot shifter as well as the shifter arm, breaking the cast-in pin. We had it welded back in by a good welder. Even though he couldn't weld it exactly where it was broke, there is a significant "valley" around the pin that he was able to fill in and is ultimately stronger than original condition. After the weld job, he did need to dremel a bit around a bearing if I remember correctly. His name is Chester, he is the long time owner of Nevada Motorcycle Specialties in Reno. He is a well known doer of the impossible! $75, we didn't miss a race.

The clip should be replaced every once in a while, as you learned the hard way. Some silicone on it secures the clip a little better.

@ NetKarts, I called up a shop near by called Engines Only, he said he maybe able to fix it, by welding it on. That solid pin is exactly what broke off. I was wondering wether you could weld it back in. I did not get as bad a situation as you did with your front sprocket, I just couldn't shift down with out having to get off the bike and pulling on my shifter. In the end I think I lucked out and did not bend my shifter rod, only my shifter and broke the pin clean off.

Have you had any issues since he fixed it? Any troubles shifting?

What a bad design by Kawasaki........

Thanks DK, we will use the silicone trick.

We have not had any issues with this repair. The rider says it still shifts as well as ever.

Even after all the bits that broke because of the $4 clip failure, I can't help but feel extremely fortunate . Plz be sure to double check that your shifter rod is still straight. Good luck Garage!