Sign in to follow this  

hand guards

Hi All,

I'm looking at putting hand guards on my '06 CRF230. I'm looking for recomendations--brand, model etc.. What model fits and works well?? I'd want the aluminum guard with a plastic cover, not just a plastic guard.

Thanks.

IMO the best are the guards that attach to the ends of the handle bars, all of the others don't provide enough hand and lever protection. Since installing my first set of Bark Busters (many years ago) I have not broken or bent a lever except on my Trials bike last summer because I bought into the concept that guards are not "cool" on Trials bikes.:) I could have bought a set of guards for the price of that AJP lever.:banghead:

I have plastic guards on two bikes and the aluminum bar type on a third, the plastic holds up just fine for trail riding. My last good get off was from clipping a tree on the downhill side of the trail with the right bar. The impact was enough to take a nice chunk of bark out of the fir tree and bend the Renthal bars, I credit the Scotts with keeping me from going off the trail and down the hill side. The plastic guard held up just fine. :lol:

I have the Rally Pros work great,look great, replaceable parts. Seen a couple trees still fine. Only complaint little pricey. wpb230f

+1 to the Tusk. I have them on both the 150 and 230. I had to do as pictured above and trim the ball off of the clutch lever on both bikes but we proceeded to tip over to our hearts content during some fun racing and did nothing more than scratch the plastic on the gaurds a little. Solid unit for the price for sure! They did not move in any way during any of the falls.

Good units.

when you install the bark busters you will need to modify the throttle tube.

the outer end of the throttle tube has a lip that covers the end of the handle bar tube.

if you leave the lip in place and drop the bike on the throttle side the bark buster will clamp down on the throttle tube.

i discovered this during a difficult enduro coarse about half way through the coarse. the second half was a nightmare. I could twist the throttle open but it would not self close.

I got the enduro engineering bark busters and sicass guards with the signals to ditch the oem signals.....they've been working very well against the Cal City creosote bushes all over the desert!