Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF450R won't rev out, hitting rev limiter early

I was in a harescramble this past weekend and on the 4th lap I hit a 4' log jump (as I did every lap). I went to get on the gas, and the bike seemed like it was hitting the rev-limiter way early like around 4000 rpm. I was able to ride the slower sections just fine, but when I got to a staight and needed to put the hammer down same thing. It feels like the rev-limiter is kicking in early and makes the bike surge. I could pull the clutch in and rev-it just fine 8000+rpm, but when it's under load the bike wants to hit the rev-limiter. It did it about 6 times, and I pulled out of the race, not wanting to do any damage to the bike. I want to think that the bike went into a safe mode, but I don't know. I hit the log jump pretty hard, and my first instinct was to look for loose wires, but can't find any. The bike runs fine, idles fine, starts fine. I plan on stripping the bike down this week and going over everything, but I think my problem is electronic. If anyone has come across something like this please let me know. I am the original owner of this bike (purchased 02/10) and this is the first issue I've ever had with it, besides flaming out. It's got 135hrs on it.

Here's what's been done to it:

Eddie's Re-Map

35oz trailtech flywheel

FMF 4.1 TI RCT Exhaust w/ Megabomb Header

Rekluse Z-Start Pro

I have another tank with a pump that I can throw on to see if it solves the problem. I have already changed out the fuel filter once just to see if it causing my flame out issues, so I'm faniliar with the procedure. I hope that this can solve my problem, but I'm doubtful because I would think that would affect it when I revved it to 8K with the clutch in.

Could it be the throttle position sensor? Anyone ever had one go out?

check the ground where it bolts to the radiator bolt on the right side.

Ground is still connected, gave it a slight tug and everything is still tight. Wire looks to be in good shape and taped into the loom. I checked continuity between the lug and the frame and it's good. I also took a resistance reading of 6.5 - 8ohms between the lug and various parts of the frame.

I know this is an old post but I'm having a similar issue on my 09 crf450r. What ended up being the issue?