Sign in to follow this  

How to sell a 450?

I put an 08 RM250 and an 08 RMZ450 for sale at the same time. The RM250 sold for 2800 in 6 days. Im asking 3500 for the 450, and I have not got one call on it. Is this normal? Is this how it goes right now when trying to sell a 450? Am I going to have to give it away?

It's late November, and around here, you,re lucky to sell a bike at all. I wouldn't worry about selling the 450 until spring comes.

If it was reversed and you sold the 450 and were sitting on the 250 ~ would you feel the same way? Honestly, it only takes one serious buyer. Try relisting, maybe lower your price or advertise some place else. Right now I'm trying to sell my '08 RM250 in TT Classified section and I haven't gotten a single inquiry, maybe it's my timing but I really just think that I haven't caught the right persons eye.

So keep trying, you'll sell it soon enough.

Depending on the condition and if you are willing to come down I am sure you could sell it.

Most 250s will fit a fairly wide range of riders. 350s & up tend to require at bit more skill and strength and have a smaller range of capable users.

Don't know what your flex is but that year rmz450 would be a great deal for somebody at around $2700-2900 IMHO (as a buyer not a seller or course). Well, if you lived around here I would come and look that is for sure.:lol::ride::)

I have relisted it a few times on CL, and the local forums. I'm asking 3500, but I am considering coming down to 3200. I want to sell to get a 2012 KX450. Im real eager. Oh well, I will just have to wait. I am considering keeping the RMZ and still getting a KX.

I have relisted it a few times on CL, and the local forums. I'm asking 3500, but I am considering coming down to 3200. I want to sell to get a 2012 KX450. Im real eager. Oh well, I will just have to wait. I am considering keeping the RMZ and still getting a KX.

Ya that kx is awesome.:lol:

If it was reversed and you sold the 450 and were sitting on the 250 ~ would you feel the same way? Honestly, it only takes one serious buyer. Try relisting, maybe lower your price or advertise some place else. Right now I'm trying to sell my '08 RM250 in TT Classified section and I haven't gotten a single inquiry, maybe it's my timing but I really just think that I haven't caught the right persons eye.

So keep trying, you'll sell it soon enough.

The ad for your RM says it's sold, is it or do you still have it?

I am also trying to sell my 08 RMZ 450, its listed next to yours. I really want mine gone, a guy offered me $4500, but I got alot into it. I am looking at switching to a 2012 kx450f as well.

I would have jumped all over 4500. There is no way you could get 4500 for it in TN. t dont matter what is on it or in it. The bike market here is terrible right now. I guess thats the difference between here and there.

I gave $2700 for my 09 in August here in Mi.

In Michigan that was a pretty good price. I would expect a mostly stock '09 z450 to pull closer to $3700, an '08 in excellent condition with mods is a $3300 bike.

In Michigan that was a pretty good price. I would expect a mostly stock '09 z450 to pull closer to $3700, an '08 in excellent condition with mods is a $3300 bike.

agreed+1:thumbsup: most people or should i say 95% of people that buy or sale a newer model bike for cheap money usually still owe money on the bike and just dont care...you should never buy a newer bike without the certificate of origin unless you want to be coowner with the bank that owns the loan on the bike:bonk:

I got 2800 for an 08 RM250. I think 3200 for an 08 RMZ450, is right. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to it in December my friend. Wait till spring and bet it won't be the same...

I've had stuff I've listed and listed and listed with NO calls...Gave up on it and then listed again a year later. First guy came and bought it @ asking price and had probably atleast 30 more calls/texts about the item...

you wont get more then 2800 in your area. it must be clean and not many hours to get more!

Ya I think this is about right. The deal you got on yours was good, I would have jumped on $2700.00 if it was local to me. Not sure I understand that poster who was talking about over $3500.00, with all due respect, that is way too much at least for me --especially if it has someone else's mods.

Edited by Chaconne
spell

First off you must compare apples to apples Dude! an 08 RM 250 2smoke will sell, its in demand! Second thing is your selling a 4 year old bike thats come and gone. And no one is going to give you 3500.00 cash for a bike thats as much as some 09 450, and even some 10 450 probably depends on the condition. Im telling cut your loss get 2400-2800 maybe! I payed 5300.00 new in 08 for mine! Just saying....

zig is right it only takes one serious buyer.

I just sold my '08 YZ450F for $3500 here in Denver, Colorado. Posted the ad on CL for $3600 last Thursday. I used 4 detailed pictures and put the bike back close to stock except for a skid plate, handguards and PMB spark arrestor cap. The bike had about 30 hours on it with very little boot rub and all the OEM plastic/graphics. I also spent the money for a new OEM rear fender and all the OEM stickers for it (about $32 through TT) since it was scratched up from scraping my boot across it. Cleaned the chain, cleaned the air filter, made sure the sprockets werent worn and just detailed everything that I could (WD-40 does wonders to make metal things look clean and shiny), put in fresh gas and made sure that it would start/run quickly.

I also initially priced at or below KBB list ($3660 for my area) and was prepared to accept an offer up to about 10-15% off the KBB price. I also compared to the other YZ450F's on CL to make sure the price/condition was as good or better than the others.

I had only two inquiries. The first person asked via e-mail on Friday if I would take $2800 without even bothering to come look at the bike. I declined. It snowed the first night I posted the ad and we have had snowpacked streets in Denver since that time (i.e. you cant even test ride it). All it took was the second person to inquire on Saturday decided to swing by to see it on his way from Colorado Springs to Denver for something else. Once he saw the condition in person, he was hooked even without riding it (we started it in the garage). He talked with his wife and called me 10 mins later to say he would take it. Came by last night and paid cash and picked it up.

It may have been just dumb luck, but every bike that I have sold went to the first person to look at it (5 motorcycles in the last 2 years). I think this is due to the right combination of price and condition. Do your research, remedy any cosmetic and/or mechanical issues (i.e. make it a bike you would want to buy), detail it and price it appropriately for the market/condition/hours of usage. I watch CL a lot and I see the good deals move on/off within a matter of days. At least in this market, there are people willing to spend money to grab up bikes they perceive as good deals before someone else gets to them (even in a crappy economy).

And if that doesnt work, wait until Spring.

i have the same issue. i posted a 09 yz 250 2 stroke and sold it for 3900 the next day. my 09 crf 450 is at 3800 right now and i still have it. the 2 strokes are at a higher demand for used bikes. i have a few people interested but nothing serious enough. it really depends where your located as well. Some bikes are going for more in certain areas. For me i could prolly get like 35 to 38 locally for the crf, but on TT i could prolly get from 4000 to 4200

You gave your RM250 way for $2,800! My buddy just sold a 06 for $2,600 by word of mouth, bet he could have got 28 for it if he had listed it on CL.

This time of the year is great for buying, not so much for selling. For most guys riding is a summer time sport...