Sign in to follow this  

Washington mattawa bummer

so myself and a buddy went over to mattawa area today to have a little fun in the sorta-sun. nice high 40's day of working hard in the rocks and such. unfortunately we only got about 10 miles done before a pretty serious setback occurred.

miscphotos036.jpg

you may notice that the husky on the right appears to be sitting a little low.:lol::foul::)

miscphotos035.jpg

this happened out it in the middle of somewhere, but not very near the truck.

it looks like i probably lost the nut/bolt that secures the linkage to the frame, once that happened the whole load went onto the lower end of the shock. well that didn't last long as it sheared off the lower shock shaft at the linkage attachment.

it's pretty darn amazing how poorly a bike works with zero rear suspension. i ended up jamming the rear spring in between the swingarm and air-box to walk it out of there. i walked it, under power to get it uphill and killed it and pushed in neutral on the downhills. fortunately i was able to find a getout spot that i could get the truck to without too much muscling the thing around. what a drag!!!

looks like i'm in the market for a new shock and linkage for the old girl.

It looks like someone put the rear wheel on backwards as well. O once chased jetting all day at at Mattawa only to realize later the main gasket had let go and I didn't have any coolant. I took a three hour nap in the ditch while the group went to get a truck.

Forget your Duct tape?

Bummer...better than a body part

oh no. i had some tape, maybe 10 feet, and some safety wire. i tried to put it together for just under 2 minutes. there was no real way to rig it to ride home.

7573632_125x125.png

if it makes you feel any better my 85 ktm snapped a shock shaft twice before they admitted the linkage ratio was too steep

7573632_125x125.png

if it makes you feel any better my 85 ktm snapped a shock shaft twice before they admitted the linkage ratio was too steep

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking,...................nope, not much better. i'll get her back up soon enough, well maybe not soon enough but soon anyway.

Sorry to hear that. My wr300 almost had a similiar(but not as bad) fate.

The bottom bolt had backed out during a ride. I heard this "clunk" and later at home my jaw dropped when I saw where the noise came from.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

oh and I know from experience...when I went to order replacements alot of these linkage parts are 6-8 weeks out to get from the factory(which kindof blew me away). Except Halls has most everything you need though.:lol:

Sorry to hear that. My wr300 almost had a similiar(but not as bad) fate.

The bottom bolt had backed out during a ride. I heard this "clunk" and later at home my jaw dropped when I saw where the noise came from.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

that was a close call! i'd call that tragedy narrowly averted.:lol:

i'm still a little befuddled as to how a torqued bolt with a locking nut came loose in 60ish hours of riding?:)

Maybe i just need a new 'berg te300.:banghead::cheers::D

Dang Steve! You have had a few serious issues with that bike. Sorry to hear of the trouble.

Joe

thanks for reminding me.:lol:

I love her, but feel that she may be more demanding than she should be.

You need to ride Dave's bike :)

NO! I DON'T! wishful thinking on my part. no new bike coming soon. i've got to make due with what i have for now. i'll just ride the kdx for a bit and fix the shock when i can.

maybe i'll weld some struts from the sub-frame to the swingarm and make a rigid out of it. that'd put those harley guys to shame huh!:lol::banghead:

I guess I'll have to double check mine before I go out each time. I assembled the linkage with red loctite when I first got the bike. Sorry man that is a ton of damage.

i did the bearings about 6 months ago and torqued them to spec. i used blue threadlocker. only thing i can think is the threads were dirty/greasy and the threadlocker didn't setup properly.

i think i'll start painting a stripe on the securing nut from now on so i can visually inspect the secureness of critical fasteners.

that sucks. If taskys can't sort it call Bills, that guy has PILES of stuff.

NO! I DON'T! wishful thinking on my part. no new bike coming soon. i've got to make due with what i have for now. i'll just ride the kdx for a bit and fix the shock when i can.

maybe i'll weld some struts from the sub-frame to the swingarm and make a rigid out of it. that'd put those harley guys to shame huh!:lol::)

There is nothing wrong with a good running KDX. I love mine.