Sign in to follow this  

Okay to ride KX250 through fairly deep puddles?

So I'm planning on doing a lot of trail riding with my new 2001 KX250. I am wondering if deep puddles are an issue? Last Weekend I rode and it was very wet. Some puddles probably came up to the bottom of the frame, and I hit them pretty fast so water was spraying all over the bike. When I got home, I washed the bike off of course and cleaned her up. I am riding with a lot of 4 stroke guys and I know there is really no harm posed to their bikes. Is a 2 stroke any different? Could I have done damage?

You'll be fine. Just like my '02, your KX has a one-piece air box that is only open at the top, other than the small water drain at the bottom.

In '03 the KX250 changed to a design where the side panels and rear fender are actually the outside of the air box, and they aren't water proof at all.

You'll be fine. Just like my '02, your KX has a one-piece air box that is only open at the top, other than the small water drain at the bottom.

In '03 the KX250 changed to a design where the side panels and rear fender are actually the outside of the air box, and they aren't water proof at all.

Awesome! I read a thread somewhere about this but I didn't know what years it applied to. That answers my question. Thank you!

If you haven't done this already, take apart the lower shock linkage and pack the needle bearings with some good waterproof grease (like Belray)...or you will be pressing those bearings out in the springtime (ask me how I know this ..haha). Riding Belfair by any chance? My KX has seen quite a few of those puddles. Like Chokey mentioned the airbox design holds up pretty well to water.

I used to ride in, basically, a swamp. Just to get into the riding area you got soaked. Like Dave said, the lower shock bearing will need to be greased constantly, every 4-5 rides at least. chokey brings up a good point on the airbox, but if you rode anything like I did you still get crap in there. Also, you should apply dielectric grease to the CDI connectors as water can get in there an cause a short.

I hate riding that stuff now, been through one too many stink puddles.

i ended up swamping my 96 coming around a blind corner fast. i had nasty water come up the the airbox. i would not have had much of an issue if the guys in the jeeps that came by offered some help while the bike was still running. instead, they stopped, pointed, laughed and continued down the trail. one guy even decided to drive threw the water in front of me and continue down the trail. than it stalled trying to get it up on the bank. now for a complete tear down.

If you haven't done this already, take apart the lower shock linkage and pack the needle bearings with some good waterproof grease (like Belray)...or you will be pressing those bearings out in the springtime (ask me how I know this ..haha). Riding Belfair by any chance? My KX has seen quite a few of those puddles. Like Chokey mentioned the airbox design holds up pretty well to water.

Yup Belfair haha. I will do that then before I go next time. Do you think by not packing them last time i did any damage?

Big puddles are no problem, where I ride we do big creek and small river crossings alot. The lower shock bearing is and allways has been a problem and you can't grease it enough but that is the only real problem area. Last year my 01 went under water in a large creek crossing and I had to take the plug out and turn it upside down and pump the water out, through the years we have done this many times to many bikes with no bad effects so a little water won't hurt your bike.

Ed

Do you think by not packing them last time i did any damage?

One ride? No. If they were fine before the ride, they'll be fine after you grease them up.

Sounds like the bike is new to you, so it's probably more about what the prior owner did (or didn't do) for the past 11 years. I let mine go way too long and all the lower bearings rusted solid.

Just a heads up, some of those puddles will come up higher than the bottom of your frame as winter sets in.

Yea the bike is really new to me I just picked it up a few weekends ago. It's pretty much brand new though only about 45 hours total ride time which was all on sunny track days. Are there any threads that show the best way to go about greasing up the shock linkage? Or does the OEM service manual cover it? Once again, thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it.

Here is a picture after getting her a little muddy the day I picked up.

nv9lqq.jpg