Sign in to follow this  

Colorado The parking lot is NOT a track

At VDR today. Awesome day: The tracked is packed, the parking lot is nicely filled up. I park my car and while getting ready to ride I see this kid on a small quad running laps around his parents truck and trailer. While pondering to a) say something, or :lol: move my car because I don't want a quad shaped ornament in the door, the kid takes the turn in front of his truck and into the road between 2 rows. You can guess what comes next: He collides with a truck driving by.

To the truck driver's credit, he was going slow, stopped before the kid hit him, and checked on the kid's well being before even looking at his truck.

It's an easy thing to overlook, but parents, the parking lot is the last place for your kids to ride. You have blind spots, you have dogs running around, you have trucks backing up, and since you most likely don't have insurance on the bike/quad, you are looking at a potential bill when your kid hits a vehicle.

I share your frustration. I am biased against quad riders because I am waiting to get an ACL surgery as a result of what I'm hoping is ignorance (and not malicious intent; however i still question). Never the less it seems like there are many of us who have stories each weekend where someone is doing something foolish at the track and doesn't realize that the consequences of their actions is not just limited to themselves.

I wish Darwinian law was the only rule that was enforced and incidents like this would weed themselves out.

Until that happens ignorance of what should be common sense needs to be removed from the equation.

In a perfect world anyone wishing to ride would need to take some type of ettiquite course that teaches acceptable behavior and basic safety. Add first aid training to that and it would benefit everyone. Also at my utopian track there are signs posted that matches the agreement everyone signed stating they will exercise common sense and follow some simple rules. Then anyone not in compliance could be reported and asked to leave by a track marshall. Oh and our bikes never get dirty either.

About 8 years ago there was a little kid killed by a guy pit racing at a Denver area track. I ran into the guy a few years later, never had met him before, and never told him I knew the story or that I even rode. He told me how his life was ruined by the accident. He was a mess. Pit racers old and young need to realize that there is serious issues with doing that, slow down, get on the track or go outback, but do it out of the pits.

Definitely a). Sometimes parents don't see the potential harm that can arise from ones actions. Glad the kid is ok, in my dealings, if you try to explain the danger and show you are looking out for the well being of their child they will usually take it in a positive manner.

At least there are rules at the track. My truck window was busted while parked at Rainbow Falls parking off 67. Probably by a roosting quad or bike.

Good memory, Rex!

I watched that accident happen. It was not at all as reported, but the guy got hung for it. It was every bit as much the kids fault, but since the kid was killed, and he was, well, a kid, the older guy was hung. That's too bad.

Edited by Leardriver

Same problem at Carolina Adventure World in SC, 2 Huge gravel parking lots and people cannot resist the urge to ride wheelies, do donuts and travel at rediculous speeds on their way to the track or trails. I guess people think that since they paid to get in, they can do whatever, wherever and around whomever. I agree with the Track Marshall idea but it should be expanded to a parking lot official.

I can't stand pit racers. I went out to IMI yesterday and it was packed. The track was great but it seems like that track just attracts idiots. I parked by the "kids" track and there was some knucklehead on a big bike speeding around it with no helmet. Other guys were going wide open through the parking lot and it was packed. I always bring the kids out and they love to hang out by the truck and play, but the pit racers can be an issue. I don't understand why the track owners won't police it a bit better. Maybe I'm ignorant and it's an MX track parking lot and not a play area, but there are speed limits and helmet rules that should be enforced. I'm all for the wheeelies and hauling on some straits but do it away from the parking lot.

I went to a track in AZ over the holiday twice just to watch and there was none of the stuff I see at IMI.

I can't stand pit racers. I went out to IMI yesterday and it was packed. The track was great but it seems like that track just attracts idiots. I parked by the "kids" track and there was some knucklehead on a big bike speeding around it with no helmet. Other guys were going wide open through the parking lot and it was packed. I always bring the kids out and they love to hang out by the truck and play, but the pit racers can be an issue. I don't understand why the track owners won't police it a bit better. Maybe I'm ignorant and it's an MX track parking lot and not a play area, but there are speed limits and helmet rules that should be enforced. I'm all for the wheeelies and hauling on some straits but do it away from the parking lot.

I went to a track in AZ over the holiday twice just to watch and there was none of the stuff I see at IMI.

I agree. IMI is the worst for parking lot racers. Last time I was there Sun 11/20 a guy on a quad parked next to me and was doing wheelies and donuts while I was getting my gear on. Then a bunch of bikes parked next him and as soon as they unloaded their bikes they started them up and raced across the parking lot to the flat track. This was before they got geared up or put on a helmet. PURE STUPIDITY. IMI track has gotten a lot better in the last couple years but parking lot stays the same.

Makes me wanna buy some land, carve out an area for doing donuts and another for Bro'ing out with the bros and only charging 5 bucks to come bro down for the bro day. Flat bills REQUIRED! Wont even tell them its a parking lot!

• Like 1

Makes me wanna buy some land, carve out an area for doing donuts and another for Bro'ing out with the bros and only charging 5 bucks to come bro down for the bro day. Flat bills REQUIRED! Wont even tell them its a parking lot!

:lol:

Right on Broseph. I'll be sure to wear my Skin industries helmet. :lol:

Had the same thing happen when I first moved here. I was unloading my quad at Rampart when some guy on a dirtbike tried to roost me twice in the parking lot. I yelled at him after the second time but he never stopped or turned around to "discuss" his behavior with me. Worst part about it, he had his kid with him to. What a great example. I guess he didn't like quads.

I ride both quads and bikes and there's idiots in both groups. We called them squids in Az. Always "impressive" to watch them race around in the parking lot or on smooth as silk forest roads.