Sign in to follow this  

87 xt600 cream puff?

found an 87 600xt with 2k miles,is 2k$ too much? needs chain&sprocket. its real clean, first owner was an older man the next guy put about 600 miles on it and got tired of kicken it.

Here's NADA :

1987 Yamaha

XT600T/C

Pricing

Excellent $1150

Very Good $875

Good $575

Fair $500

Poor N/A

A bit pricey. You can counter with the (very real) statement that any '87 will need valve seals, and you'll need new chain and sprockets as well.

Offer a realistic, non-insulting lower price and see what transpires.

I had the same opportunity, I purchased an '89 xt600 with 3900 on the odometer for 1800 dollars. Love the bike, but rubber gets old and cracks and if you're like me you will want to do many upgrades to personalize your bike. Kind of a money pit, but as I said, love the bike

motorcycle.jpgWhen first purchased

001.JPGAfter upgrades

XT 600's are fat frumpy and slow but go and go...XR 600 is taller/skinnier,lighter&faster too with the bonus of oil in frame with a filter screen in the downtube and just one carby=less fuss.....wish it had an oilcooler on the headstock though!..currently own both so speaking from some experience

found an 87 600xt with 2k miles,is 2k$ too much? needs chain&sprocket. its real clean, first owner was an older man the next guy put about 600 miles on it and got tired of kicken it.

As others have said, you will probably be looking at opening up the topend and at least replacing the valve seals.  The tires and tubes are probably on their last legs also, being they are over 25 years old now.  You will probably find that the intake boot is cracked and you have an air leak right there (fairly common on those old bikes).

I personally would love to have an XT600 in my garage, but I wouldn't spend more than about $1200-1400 on one, and it would have to be very clean to get that much out of my wallet.

Even though tis was a 2-1/2 year old thread, I like to add for others out there that those prices quoted earlier in the thread are way off in the usual going price of these bikes. You will never get an excellent one for $1200, more like $2100 to $2500, rough condition , beatup samples are still going for $800-$1000. Unless a person has a lucky horseshoe up his a** and finds someone giving one away. It's more a collector and vintage thing now in pricing not bluebook anymore.

Also just because it is 30 years old, doesn't mean squat for needing valve work, they go bad by miles not years, Rubber is the only thing that can be bad, but it also greatly depends on how the bike was stored and taken care of. I got an "88 this spring that is 95% like it came from the factory, only a couple grommts and minor rubber parts needed replacing.

Also the comment about the the dual carbs and not having to put up with that on Honda's, again wrong. Honda's version of the XT also had dual carbs. The duals actually ran stronger than single carb, just need more tuning.

People just want the old school bikes with the kick start sometimes. Also it is worth what people want to spend or what they think it is worth. There is nothing like getting on a old bike and kicking her to life. Just my thought.

That's why I have 2 of the 'ol kickers, the XT and an Honda XL. It's kind of a throwback to the good'ol times with them. The only bad thing about them is hot starting them. I tend to ride them only when I can stop for at least 20-30 minutes otherwise restarting the hot motors don't always work very well. There's a reason why new thumpers have hot start systems.

For running errands and start/stop trips I have an electric start KLR.

Edited by jjktmrider

An XR600 with the single carb from 1988 onwards will run rings around an XT/TT 600 left righ n centre.....lighter,faster with better brakes and suspension factory.Yamaha didn't get serious with the XT/TT until they released the Italian ''belgarda'' TTR 600, even then id say the much earlier twin carbed XR 600'S of 1985-87 would still give one a fright........the Honda is simply superior!

Being that I have both and have ridden other versions of both, the Hondas don't "run rings" around the Yamahas. The thing the XR has is lower gearing for offraod, the Yamaha XT is geared toward Highway(even my XL was geared lower), Once I have my Hondas are geared to run the same rpm's at the same mph as the Yamaha, they are pretty much dead even. State of tune also makes a big difference with these and the XT's have the worst dual carb setup compared to the Honda for performance. Once a better set of carbs are installed the bike really wake up.