Sign in to follow this  

Time for an upgrade....Desert Bike?

hi im

• 17 years old
  • 5'5
  • about 125lbs

i consider myself an intermediate rider and im lookin to buy a new bike right now i have a 2003 yz250f it was a great bike to learn on now im looking for something more suited to the type of desert riding we do mostly stick to hill climbs and some tight technical stuff and occasionally open it up on a powerline road somewhere although money is kinda tight .... it will def be a used bike hopefully vet owned i would like something with a wider trans possibly even sixth gear kinda leaning towards a crf 250/450x or a wr250/450f(i know there 5 spd).... possibly a used ktm, rode a wr 450f last trip didnt really like the power delivery kinda felt really restricted def want a thumper tho two strokes arent really my thing thanks for the advice sorry for the long post:ride:

damn.....(wipe drool) haha thats almost exactly what i wanted to do def want some thing i can make street legal im livin in socal right now plan to move to AZ within a year to go to school @ MMI want to be able to use it for short commutes ..... also i know with a 250x you can pur the "R" cams anexhaust on is it the same for the 450?

Keep in mind that the WRs come from the factory very plugged up. Im not sure if the WR you rode was completely stock or not, but I have a 2001 WR426 with some very simple, cheap mods and it will run like hell. It will run off and leave a bone stock WR450, so dont rule out the WRs...they just need to be opened up. They are also as tough as nails. You can also use the YZ cams in the WR.

if you wan't street legal, go for a euro bike....... KTM 450exc is hard to beat...

Yeah we did the pink wire mod.took off airbox restrictors and put in the yz fuel stop screw haha I don't think it was quite enough but I did help a lot...... Also had my eye on the new 2012ktm350exc haha 10 grand later :lol:

whats your budget? i wouldnt get an 05 450x, i just hear lots of bad things...

after that pick a color and get the best deal possible...the WR can def. be as fast as the 450x, like people said just gotta do the free mods, i think you missed a couple

Do I have change anything on my 09 450x to put a scotts steering stabilizer on? triple clamps or something. Is there a big difference from the stock stabilizer? Is it worth it for doing maybe one race a year?

Do I have change anything on my 09 450x to put a scotts steering stabilizer on? triple clamps or something. Is there a big difference from the stock stabilizer? Is it worth it for doing maybe one race a year?

We can put the damper on the stock triple clamp and run either the stock bars or 1 1/8 bars with new bar mounts.

As for the rest I am biased so I will let the rest of the forum answer! :lol: