Sign in to follow this  

Which Shorai?

Been running the LFX09L2-BS12. (not correct, see correction in post below!!!) It has 210 CCA and only weighs about 1.5lbs. Cranks over the motor as well as a standard battery which weighed 4.75 lbs. I bought mine directly from ShoraiUsa. It's a quality product and installation was easy. Comes with pre-cut foam shims and new terminal screws. You can see the foam shim at the bottom of the battery.

ShoraiBattery.jpg

Edited by Sofiedog
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, I just ordered one up. Now when do we get these for our cars and trucks?:lol:

p.s. Nice airbox!

Sorry, I made a big mistake.

I'm running the LFX14L2-BS12 in my 450X. It has 210 CCA, 14 Ah capacity, and weighs ~1.5 lbs. Original Yuasa was 4.75 lbs.

I'm running the LFX09L2-BS12 in my WR250F. It has 135 CCA, 9 Ah capacity, and weighs ~1.25 lbs. Original Yuasa was 4.25 lbs.

:lol::):banghead:

Edited by Sofiedog

Krannie, does it crank the motor over any quicker? Do you feel a weight difference?

Whats the maintenance on these as far as charging or anything else? No more trickle charger?

Krannie, does it crank the motor over any quicker? Do you feel a weight difference?

Whats the maintenance on these as far as charging or anything else? No more trickle charger?

Cranks faster.

Haven't tendered it yet.

Yes, you can feel it. It's 4+ lbs lighter!

I lowered my radiators and removed my HID headlight, so I feel all that too...........

Edited by Krannie

Is it worth it to get the 14ah? In my feeble brain of battery knowledge, I'm thinking the more CCA's the quicker it will turn over, and 210 is a lot more than 130. I'd love to just hit the button and not hear the starter ever go whir-whir-whir-whir.

Is it worth it to get the 14ah? In my feeble brain of battery knowledge, I'm thinking the more CCA's the quicker it will turn over, and 210 is a lot more than 130. I'd love to just hit the button and not hear the starter ever go whir-whir-whir-whir.

After installing my new 9ah Shorai, I can say I'm sad I didn't do this sooner. It turns over the engine super fast compared to my PowerSonic PTZ7S. I definitely don't need the additional CCA's of the 14ah. Thank you everyone for your input. The TT community is the best!:lol:

After installing my new 9ah Shorai, I can say I'm sad I didn't do this sooner. It turns over the engine super fast compared to my PowerSonic PTZ7S. I definitely don't need the additional CCA's of the 14ah. Thank you everyone for your input. The TT community is the best!:lol:

Yep, same here. I can start in gear with my Rekluse engaged. Dead engine race starts are now in gear with clutch in, hit the button and GONE!

Had a cold front move into AZ and it's too cold to ride this morning. It's only 50F. My threshold for enjoying a ride is 60F.:)

So, I did an experiment. I have both the Shorai 135CCA battery and the 210CCA battery. Both are only a few months old.

Both my WR250F and CRF450X have Rotella 15W-40 in them. I still use it in the winter because I only ride when it is above 60F, which occurs most afternoons in AZ.

The 135 CCA battery turns over the 250F faster than the 210 CCA battery turns over the 450X.

I then compared both batteries in the 450X.

I could not recognize any significant difference in how fast the 135 CCA battery turned over the 450X as compared to the 210 CCA battery.:lol:

Not very precise, just did it by listening. Probably need to record it and compare.

So, it doesn't seem the CCA capability of the battery is the limiting factor on how fast the motor turns over in these conditions.:cheers:

The only other factor to consider is cranking capacity, the 9 Ah vs the 14 Ah ratings. Not sure I want to do that test.:banghead:

Had a cold front move into AZ and it's too cold to ride this morning. It's only 50F. My threshold for enjoying a ride is 60F.:)

So, I did an experiment. I have both the Shorai 135CCA battery and the 210CCA battery. Both are only a few months old.

Both my WR250F and CRF450X have Rotella 15W-40 in them. I still use it in the winter because I only ride when it is above 60F, which occurs most afternoons in AZ.

The 135 CCA battery turns over the 250F faster than the 210 CCA battery turns over the 450X.

I then compared both batteries in the 450X.

I could not recognize any significant difference in how fast the 135 CCA battery turned over the 450X as compared to the 210 CCA battery.:lol:

Not very precise, just did it by listening. Probably need to record it and compare.

So, it doesn't seem the CCA capability of the battery is the limiting factor on how fast the motor turns over in these conditions.:cheers:

The only other factor to consider is cranking capacity, the 9 Ah vs the 14 Ah ratings. Not sure I want to do that test.:banghead:

WHAT?? That's crazy hot already.....I need some snow on the ground to feel comfortable....

rowher12810.jpg

I got the 9ah for my '07 450X - the bike feels like it 'jumps' to life now compared to the Yuasa. I'm not sure I would need the stronger one, this one works great!!

Cold Weather Starting -- A few weeks ago we went out to the desert in central WA. Daytime temps were low 40s and overnight it got down to 26 degrees. The Shorai performed as expected in cold temps - it cranked over a little at first, but after a few 5-second pushes on the e-button the current started warming the battery and it started cranking harder and harder each time, eventually starting the bike. Once the bike was warmed up, it took a 1-second push of the button to fire it up all day long. :lol:

The Shorai site says no tender should be needed for up to a year.

And has anyone mentioned the weight? :banghead::)

I just used the 14 yesterday for the first time on a 20 mi technical cliff ride in 40 degree weather. Even in very difficult up-hill large rock stalls..It fired right back up everytime in gear with ease.