Sign in to follow this  

Splitting cases

The motor in my 2000 cr250 seized I pulled it out and pulled the head and found brass and the top of the piston and inside of the head were beat up bad, so I pulled the jug and more brass shavings, the con rod is almost locked to the crank.

I'm thinking about splitting the cases and doing the work myself and would appreciate any help, suggestions or input anyone can give me.

Thanks

1) get a manual from allthingsmoto.com . its free

2) get a case splitter (a steering wheel puller will do)

3) get a crank install tool from tusk

easy work, if you got the manual handy and some sense

Edited by mynewcr250

easy, work if you got the manual handy and some sense

your a fool if you dont follow this advice

trying to help the guy but hey if he chooses a blow torch, vice grips and hammer to rebuild his engine then so be it

I found a killer video on you tube that made it pretty clear. Rocky mountain sells the Tusk case splitter and crank removal/install tools pretty cheap. Also the Wiesco bottom end rebuild kit makes it easy. It comes with the complete crank assembly with main bearings and all the gaskets and seals for the bottom end. Then all you need is to do up your top end--easy.

easy work, if you got the manual handy and some sense

What he said. Just buy a $15 puller from an auto parts store and some longer 6mm bolts/washers. :lol:

IMG_3593.jpg

The cases will sometimes want to stick by the swingarm bushings so use some wooden shims (used for installing home doors) so that they seperate equally. If you don't want to buy the crank installer, bag the crank and place it in the freezer for a couple hours before installing.

I found a killer video on you tube that made it pretty clear. Rocky mountain sells the Tusk case splitter and crank removal/install tools pretty cheap. Also the Wiesco bottom end rebuild kit makes it easy. It comes with the complete crank assembly with main bearings and all the gaskets and seals for the bottom end. Then all you need is to do up your top end--easy.

be careful with the wiseco kit for the cr250. it comes with everything EXCEPT the oval water jacket oring that sits at the front of the cases (they may have started including them now) its imperative you buy one and replace it as a leak here means you gotta do the whole job again.

Thanks for all the info Guys super helpful, I have the flywheel off and will need to pick up a puller to remove the case from the crank and will attack tis weekend.

you may want to try heating your cases with a heat gun too.

i had the same problem with a stuck crank on a cr500.

the half i got off was stubborn but came apart using "heat", wooden wedges and even tapping apart with a mallet.

the other half i took to the bike shop to have removed with the crank remover and it came back bad. alot more damage to the bearing housing.

if i were you, i would def use a heat gun as well as a crank puller.

by heating the bearing housing, you are enlarging the housing. making for an easier job and less damage.

when you install, freeze the crank and bearings and heat the cases in tho oven.

then the bearings will literally just drop in.

Another thing that makes this easier is if you buy the tools with the notion that this is NOT for a one time fix - rather it's for the long-term ownership of dirt bikes. Tools aren't specific to 2/4 stroke.

What he said. Just buy a $15 puller from an auto parts store and some longer 6mm bolts/washers. :lol:

IMG_3593.jpg

The cases will sometimes want to stick by the swingarm bushings so use some wooden shims (used for installing home doors) so that they seperate equally. If you don't want to buy the crank installer, bag the crank and place it in the freezer for a couple hours before installing.

When the SA bushings want to stick all you do it whack the output shaft from the tranny with a rubber hammer a bit and the case will move from the pullers pressure.

Another thing that makes this easier is if you buy the tools with the notion that this is NOT for a one time fix - rather it's for the long-term ownership of dirt bikes. Tools aren't specific to 2/4 stroke.

some are not even completely specific to using it for one type of job. you can use a crank installer tool to also install your crank seals as well. this lets you drop the left and right crank seals to their specified depths so that they are fully seated AND straight, but also do not interfere with the oil passages that are responsible for letting oil behind your crank bearings. i know honda uses something like 1mm left and 2mm right or vice versa. much easier to do this precise and accurately instead of using the socket and hammer.

• Like 1