Sign in to follow this  

Need the most quiet pipe possable

as the blm puts up new gates on public land and close down more areas around my home I am now using my old XR250R to enjoy these areas after midnight thanks to my glass headlight upgrade, but I need to make this thing sewing machine quiet- like honestly I want the valve train the only sound coming from the bike- my stock pipe with the tiny Pea hole works well but Im wondering if there are any aftermarket that are even more quiet. Yes the bike is terribly gutless but its the only way to enjoy what was once an amazing area but got closed due to dumping.

Thanks, Joe

db snorkel will melt from four stroke heat. designed for two stroke. I had one on a YZ250 and found FMF Q Stealth to be quieter.

DB Dawg perhaps but they're sized for much larger exhausts associated with 250F/450F bikes.

Honda CRF250-X stainless steel Muffler is the quietest muffler you will ever get for a 4stroke dirt bike..,Run one on each of my 600s..,(4),,The muffler must come with the spark arrestor in it as that's the part that makes them super quiet,,they are as quiet as the stock XL600 mufflers,,ala as quiet as a 73 XL250..,they were very quiet as is a stock XL600,,The spark arrestor is removable should you want to make more racket,,2 screws hold it in position..,You'll obviously need to modify the piece of pipe between the muffler and header connection,,they are not a straight fit job,,take it to a shop if you want a pro mounting job or do a DIY if you can manage a bit of modifiying,,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/img0102vc.jpg/

One on my XL600 above,,Can't reiterate enough that you must get the stainless steel version and it must come with the spark arrestor in it,,no other CRF muffler or any other modern dirt bike muffler will substitute that muffler for quiet..,Should the Muffler feel as though it's stifling the 250 a bit I have a mod you can do on the arrestor to alleviate that problem and allow the thing to breathe a bit more without losing the quiet factor,,shouldn't be an issue on a 250 but on a larger bike,, aka 400/600 you may need the mod to the arrestor,,Should you ever need the mod ask and I will post pictures of it..,

Edited by Horri

don't ride where its illegal and you wont have to worry......lol violator :lol:

You sure it wasn't you that put that envelope with your name on it under that half ton of garbage at the bottom of a cliff.

Sorry, to those that don't know of or haven't heard '' Alice's Restaurant ''

BLM or as we call them here in Michigan '' DNR '' Have almost gotten out of control. Public property has become government property with rules and regulations created and mandated by them selfs, oh, for the good of all of us or any term that fits, pick a liberal blurb and insert here.

Yes , some rules and regulations are needed in the ORV world but please .

Government only gets larger and never gets smaller until we have had enough.

Common sense would say that your BLM should use it's resources to find the dumpers and or make it difficult for it to happen but in most cases they impose more crap on the rest of us like we are a bunch of little kids that can't play in the sand box because Johnny had to take a leak.

Good luck JRM and ride like the wind. :lol:

• Like 1

Too be honest I'm not sure what years CRF250-X mufflers I've used on my bikes,,I just pick them up used from a place similar to Ebay over here for anything ranging from $40 to a $100., Just make sure you ask the person selling it whether it has the Spark arrestor included., The arrestor isn't shown on any parts fiches I've looked at for the 250X so according to Honda I suppose it doesn't exist,,It does,,I'd say any year will do from whenever the CRF250-X was first produced.,Just eyeball the thing and make sure it's the stainless steel muffler not any of those aluminium ones,,and check with the seller for the arrestor,,It's in the end of the muffler and held in by two allen key head short bolts..There's a used one on Ebay I saw yesterday under CRF250-X muffler in the m/c parts section.,,about four pictures of it in the advert.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=CRF250X+MUFFLER&_sacat=6028&_odkw=XL600+Stator&_osacat=6028&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1313

There,,about ten down ,,2004---2009 HONDA CRF250X STOCK MUFFLER,,

Is the muffler on your bike mechanical or does it have packing? Do you need a spark arrestor?

Typically stock exhausts are the quietest especially on the dual sport models but if they're not mechanical mufflers they do not to be repacked.

No repackings required on a stainless steel CRF250-X muffler,,she's all metal in there..,,If you take the arrestor out it will be loudish but not overly so,,no worse than a T4 or the like and if anything less noisy than them..

Whoops,,relised that's for the O/P,,anyway,,you have the info,,and interesting about the welding,,check before you buy,,Cavaet Emptor,,CRF450-X is another extremely good muffler for dirt bikes,,unfortunatly it has no removable arrestor,,Darn good muffler though,,run one on my 86 XR600 and it's less noisy than the 250X ones I use on the XLs when I remove the arrestor,..I wouldn't however class the 450X one as a "stealth" job..ie,,it's loudish but ideal in my opinion if you want a bit of noise but not too much,,Same deal as the 250X,,it must be the stainless version to match what I'm saying,,Any Aluminium versions will not do,,

Edited by Horri

It's too bad that the advice given on forums is sometimes wrong, even when given so enthusiastically. Readers don't know to question and so take the information as true and then pass it on. For example, the advice in this thread about the CRF250X exhaust/muffler.

The spark arrester is indeed listed on the Honda parts fiche; here's the one from ServiceHonda.com 2007 CRF250X muffler fiche:

ARRESTER ASSY. 18355-KSC-A10 $249.44 $170.12

It is held in place with 4 bolts, not 2.

It is not welded to the muffler on any year CRF250X. You have to be able to remove it to clean the screen periodically, or it will clog up and your moto will run poorly.

There is an exhaust diffuser which bolts into the spark arrester on '04-'07 models - with one torx head bolt. There is no Honda part number for this part - you may be able to find them on eBay. From '08 onwards, the exhaust diffuser is welded to the spark arrester. Here are some pictures:

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm#diffuser <-- linky

Taking my earlier comment about advice sometimes being wrong, you may well question what I have just shown. Check the Honda parts fiche and LOOK AT any CRF250X muffler to see what's going on. :lol::)

RAMZ SAID>>Taking my earlier comment about advice sometimes being wrong, you may well question what I have just shown. Check the Honda parts fiche and LOOK AT any CRF250X muffler to see what's going on

I already have,,looked at about 4 different years and I saw no arrestor in the fiche for the muffler,,I will however check again,,Why don't you post the URL to the fiche if you know you are correct to save us the trouble of looking,,and I disagree about the bolts,,I afterall run three of those mufflers so believe I 'm in a better position than you to know how many bolts hold the arrestor in,,.Post the fiche and we can have a look at your thoughts,,

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=525130&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2007&fveh=12088

I've done it for you,,Part 7 is not the actual spark arrestor,,The one thing you are right about is that part 7 is held in with four bolts,,There's another part that fits in the end of that,,goes in the end by the number 12 and is held in with 2 allen key bolts,,You can't just remove the part you think is the arrestor and run the bike without it,,it'd be as loud as hell,..I'll accept your apology now,,

If you want I'll post pictures of the actual removable arrestor,,await my return,,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/img0178am.jpg/

Above is the mod I did to the arrestor to free up flow on the 600s,,Left original,,right mod,

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/img0179qy.jpg/

Above is the mod I did to free up flow on the 600s,,original left,,mod right,,Still quiet even with those done.

Service Hondas really slow at the moment,,try again later if nothing loads,,

Edited by Horri

You could just look at the purty pictures I show on my web site (click to supersize) rather than a fiche. Pictures truly represent the actual part, rather than an artsist's rendering on a fiche.

BTW, the spark arrester mounting bolts listed on the fiche show quantity - 004. :lol:

You are incorrect so just apologise,,The pictures above show you to be incorrect about the actual arrestor..part 7 is not what I'm talking about as I've shown you,,.Admit defeat and be done with it,,.

You are modifying the exhaust diffuser, which I see has one torx head bolt in your pictures. The spark arrester is the part with the screen, that the exhaust diffuser mounts to.

I'm pretty sure that when Honda calls a part a spark arrester on the fiche, it's a spark arrester. :lol:

All right,,if you want to be pedantic,,,where is the diffuser in the parts fiche then,,

So basically change the name of what I'm calling the arrestor to diffuser,,That part of your argument is correct,,the diffuser unless it's an aftermarket part is not in the fiche,,.