Sign in to follow this  

Where to Begin....

Im looking at buying my wife her first Bike, She is 5'7" and 130 tops. She is a complete novice at riding. We mostly ride trails as a family and she wants to join us. She has been puttin around the yard on my 6yr olds ttr 90 and has once taken my 11yr olds Kx 80 around a little. She never would stay in the power band but the over all size fo the Kx 80 was comforatable to her. I have tried to get her to ride my cr125 or kx 125 to no avail, and she wont even look in teh direction of my kx250:bonk:. Price isnt my main concern here, getting here a bike she can be comfortable on and not scared of is a priority, having something that will handle some pretty snotty trails is also. Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated

To keep simple and not scare her.... DRZ125L or TTR125L.

I am the same size as your wife and I started on a DRZ125L. Love the bike. I learned HOW to ride. I upgraded from there. Start small and manageble power. Then progress from there. Or if you want something a little bigger go for a TTR230. Bike has the magic button to. She would probably not have any issues with this bike either (other than little heavier).

Good Luck.

I didnt post what bikes I was considering on purpose. I didnt want anyone to just focus on what I mentioned. I get a little tunnel vision when looking at stuff and get stuck on one thing. But so far my top 2 bikes I considered have been suggested. Problem is I have never rode either and dont know how they feel. I have been looking at the CRf 150 and the ttr 125 both. just have to get out and test ride a couple. I am open to any other suggestions and wont be purchasing anything for about 2 weeks still. I am planning on surpising her with this for Christmas...

Go with the ttr125, the crf150 is a lot heavier we have both, and the wife rides the ttr only and loves the magic start button.

Stay as far away from pipey 2 strokes as possible. I started my GF out on a CRF230 that she rode for a year, it was evident at that point she needed better suspension and I moved her to a KDX. She picked up a LOT of speed on the KDX, but the CRF's low seat (she's 5'11") and electric start gave her enough confidence to tackle some pretty hairy trails that she could not have handled starting on the KDX. The electric start was a huge bonus that first year. I'd look for a used CRF/XR or similar to get her on, if she's aggressive you may need to step it up in a year or two.

Go with the ttr125, the crf150 is a lot heavier we have both, and the wife rides the ttr only and loves the magic start button.

That sounds like the ticket

Stay as far away from pipey 2 strokes as possible. I started my GF out on a CRF230 that she rode for a year, it was evident at that point she needed better suspension and I moved her to a KDX. She picked up a LOT of speed on the KDX, but the CRF's low seat (she's 5'11") and electric start gave her enough confidence to tackle some pretty hairy trails that she could not have handled starting on the KDX. The electric start was a huge bonus that first year. I'd look for a used CRF/XR or similar to get her on, if she's aggressive you may need to step it up in a year or two.

Yea I cant get her on the cr125 at all. It is a very fast 125 with a lot of mods though. I want to get something with good low end torque so she can lug it on a trail if she wants but still has the power to power out of ruts. Back before we had kids we rode 4 wheelers and she was really wild, honestly almost scary on them. I dont know how she will respond to a bike as far as her aggresiveness. Best thing is if she doesnt like it, the resale on used bikes here is stable and I should be able to get my $ back and put her on what she wants.

I surprised my wife with a KLX140 for Christmas last year. It has been a great bike for her to learn on but yet has fairly good power to get up a lot of trails around here. My 11 year old liked hers so well I bought him one too. Both of them have been bulletproof and no regrets. Whatever you do make sure you get one with the magic button and I would also recommend the large wheel version. It will make all of your family rides much more enjoyable.

I have a 2006 CRF150f for the little lady (same size as your's). She has no issues with the weight and loves the e-start. I have rode the TTR125 and yes it is lighter but alot less power/torque. I would find a 2004+ (e-start equiped) CRF150F, go up one size on the pilot jet and have fun. A true bullet proof bike!

I have a ttr125 and a KLX140L the ttr is crap compared to the klx the ttr feels slow and groggy and it makes the klx feel like a rocket although it isnt all that fast it is really reliable electric start is a resonable weight and will go pretty much anywhere you want it to go on the trails i recomend the bigwheel version for ground clearance. All you have to do it put some gas in it change the oil every now and then keep the air filter reasonably clean easy because of sealed airbox and let er rip. Very good beginer bike. Has a two stage clutch to make that a bit easier. I beat myn down at the rev limiter all the time due the fact that i basicly ride it around topped out because im used to mx bikes but it really takes a beating and just keeps on going never had any problems besides the battery dieing just make sure its charged up over storage times sucks bump starting lol.

The ttr is still a good bike but klx way better and i dont know about the crf150f but the 150R is a rocket.

I have a ttr125 and a KLX140L the ttr is crap compared to the klx the ttr feels slow and groggy and it makes the klx feel like a rocket although it isnt all that fast it is really reliable electric start is a resonable weight and will go pretty much anywhere you want it to go on the trails i recomend the bigwheel version for ground clearance. All you have to do it put some gas in it change the oil every now and then keep the air filter reasonably clean easy because of sealed airbox and let er rip. Very good beginer bike. Has a two stage clutch to make that a bit easier. I beat myn down at the rev limiter all the time due the fact that i basicly ride it around topped out because im used to mx bikes but it really takes a beating and just keeps on going never had any problems besides the battery dieing just make sure its charged up over storage times sucks bump starting lol.

The ttr is still a good bike but klx way better and i dont know about the crf150f but the 150R is a rocket.

Looked at the KLX140 for the boy and it is a nice bike. The Honda has more torque and a little larger frame, better all around. I am not a Honda guy but the 150's are great bikes.

What about a Suzuki DRZ 125L? I have found a really good deal on one, but dont know anything about them...

Pretty much the same bike as the TTR125L. I got my wife a TTR125LE - she's a long-legged 5'4", and the TTR-L is a little small, but she loves it - especially because it is only 185 pounds. E-start is cool too. Weight is a biggie. Some jetting work is required to get the TTRs running right (they are way lean on the pilot and needle stock), don't know about the DRZs. You won't go wrong with the DRZ though - if it is a good deal, get it.

JayC

the 125 will be too small for her height/weight. crf150f is where its at. Get a 2006 and above and it has a electric start too.

Well I ended up Buying a 2001 ttr 225 for her. I got a great deal on it and it has not been rode much at all. Dont know if I can wait till Christmas to give it to her though. I really liked the size of it compared to the ttr 125L I looked at and it has plenty of power for some of our nasty trails

Well I ended up Buying a 2001 ttr 225 for her. I got a great deal on it and it has not been rode much at all. Dont know if I can wait till Christmas to give it to her though. I really liked the size of it compared to the ttr 125L I looked at and it has plenty of power for some of our nasty trails

Congrats on your purchase. It should be a great bike for her,as long as she likes the color.

My experience,when it comes to the womans,is they like things for much different reasons then men.I would of started with her fav color,and worked from there.lol

Congrats on your purchase. It should be a great bike for her,as long as she likes the color.

My experience,when it comes to the womans,is they like things for much different reasons then men.I would of started with her fav color,and worked from there.lol

Great thing about my wife is she is very practical, she will be much more concerned with the cost first, comfort second and then looks on a dirt bike anyway. Since I worked out a partial trade I still have quite a bit of extra$ so I am going to let her pic out some new graphics, Helmet and jersey and pants. As long as she looks good she will be happy:thumbsup: