CRF450R 2010, factory fault?

Hey All,

Take a look at some of these pics (assuming i got the link right!). This bike has only done 10 hours work and was running like a dream. Suddenly after a couple of easy laps yesterday i found it wouldn't start. I couldn't pull the kick starter down at all. I dismantled the top end and found a weird piece of metal stuck in the decompression mechanism. I have also found other little bits of metal inside the camshaft that have actually come away from the inside of it and have scored the camshaft bearings and camshaft racers as you can see in the pictures.

The loose bits are not broken parts, they're burrs that weren't cleaned up.

Do you reckon I have a shot at Honda coughing up for the fix? I REALLY hope so, it's killing me seeing the old girl like this!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.181109858647900.41412.100002466611289&type=3

Edited by nick692
link did not post

Hey All,

Take a look at some of these pics (assuming i got the link right!). This bike has only done 10 hours work and was running like a dream. Suddenly after a couple of easy laps yesterday i found it wouldn't start. I couldn't pull the kick starter down at all. I dismantled the top end and found a weird piece of metal stuck in the decompression mechanism. I have also found other little bits of metal inside the camshaft that have actually come away from the inside of it and have scored the camshaft bearings and camshaft racers as you can see in the pictures.

The loose bits are not broken parts, they're burrs that weren't cleaned up.

Do you reckon I have a shot at Honda coughing up for the fix? I REALLY hope so, it's killing me seeing the old girl like this!!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.181109858647900.41412.100002466611289&type=3

link is dead

In Europe, this problem is known by HONDA, only on 09 models.

The first decompressor was not in a good quality. So HONDA took charge of the repair and installed a another one.

If you bought this crf at an official dealer, go with your cylinder head and asked him why is it possible!

None of your photos show any damage whatsoever. The bearings contact the cylinder head area, (or land), and those marks are the result. It's perfecty normal. As for the small piece of debris, could be anyhting, like something that fell in while you were pulling the cylinder head cover, etc.

The cam lobes, where you would look for damage, are perfect and new looking. I've worked on plenty of these, any have lots of friends and acquaintances with 2010 450's, and haven't heard of a single problem with the cam. '09's, there was a recall for the Decomp pin, which could break.

None of your photos show any damage whatsoever. The bearings contact the cylinder head area, (or land), and those marks are the result. It's perfecty normal. As for the small piece of debris, could be anyhting, like something that fell in while you were pulling the cylinder head cover, etc.

The cam lobes, where you would look for damage, are perfect and new looking. I've worked on plenty of these, any have lots of friends and acquaintances with 2010 450's, and haven't heard of a single problem with the cam. '09's, there was a recall for the Decomp pin, which could break.

Hey there, thanks for the reply. So do you think now that I've removed the offending item I can reassemble the bike without fear of further damage?