Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter bolt broken in shaft - fix or replace?

The bolt that holds my kickstarter broke off in the shaft. While trying to drill it and back it out, my EZ out bit broke inside the bolt. I'm debating whether it's worth taking to a machine shop to have it drilled out, assuming they can do it, or just replacing the shaft. The shaft is a $45 part but I don't know how difficult it will be to replace it. Any suggestions?

A Porter Cable 1/4''carbide burr bit will grind up the broken easy out.They're about 20$. Once the easy out is gone I kept using the burr bit to grind away at the rest of the bolt. Worked for me.

Mine did the same thing, drill it out with a better drill bit and add some heat to shaft, the bolt has a thread locker on it. Heat will make it come out fairly easy with the easeout.:lol:

A Porter Cable 1/4''carbide burr bit will grind up the broken easy out.They're about 20$. Once the easy out is gone I kept using the burr bit to grind away at the rest of the bolt. Worked for me.

This is a great solution for adding another notch in your DIY belt. In the future you'll encounter this again in some form, and then you will already be prepared for it.

the same thing happened to me lol I said screw it and just ordered a new shaft.

Shoenrock - how hard was it to replace the shaft? Is it just a matter of removing the larger outer clutch cover to get to it? I've looked at the parts diagram but it's not obvious what would need to be removed and replaced other than the shaft.

Shoenrock - how hard was it to replace the shaft? Is it just a matter of removing the larger outer clutch cover to get to it? I've looked at the parts diagram but it's not obvious what would need to be removed and replaced other than the shaft.

I went this route when the same thing happened to us. I tried the local machine shop and had no luck and figured for $45 i should just replace the part and stop wasting time driving around.

this was on a 250xcw, btw. you have to drain the radiators. drain the oil (or turn the bike on it's side) then just undo all the bolts and pull the outer clutch cover off. At that point, I would take a picture of the shaft, and maybe take a few more as you remove it. As I recall, I had some confusion when reassembling it because the timing marks aren't supposed to actually line up. If all goes well, you can be done in an hour.

Thanks, LF. I wouldn't have thought about the gear timing so that's a great tip. I just ordered the shaft so I'll be tackling it next week.

I ended up replacing the shaft and it was a PITA. My key lessons learned in case it can help anyone else:

1. You have to rotate the new shaft all the way forward to the stop before reassembling. I didn't see any timing marks to help.

2. Winding the kickstarter spring was completely counter-intuitive. We had to rotate the spring in the opposite direction than expected to get it to return the starter after kicking.

3. Be extra careful with the three bolts that hold the power spring cover on - they are stainless so a magnet won't work for getting it out of the motor when you drop it :lol:

Then they're not stainless because the magnet didn't work. I thought stainless wasn't attracted so I assumed that was the case. But yes, not dropping them would be the best bet.

the same thing happened to me lol I said screw it and just ordered a new shaft.

I worked all day trying to fix mine and ended up buying a new one... much easier and faster

Then they're not stainless because the magnet didn't work. I thought stainless wasn't attracted so I assumed that was the case. But yes, not dropping them would be the best bet.

300 series stainless isnt magnetic while 400 series is.

i'm still waiting for my replacement shaft to come in. i sold the bike with the broken shaft but i promised the guy that bought it that when the shaft comes in i'll go over to his place and swap it.

i dont know how jdaugherty ran into problems??? i have pulled this piece out several tems in the past during preventive maintenance tear downs and i never had an issue?

Shoenrock - I put it back together a number of times and couldn't get the timing right between the spring and the shaft. The kicker would return with very little force. By the time I put the cover back on, it would hardly return at all. We had to play with it quite a bit to get the time right and the spring wound right to get it to return properly.