Sign in to follow this  

Does nikasil wear off?

Can someone tell me if this coating wears off and what happens when/if it does? I don't want to spend unnecessary money if there's no need to worry. Doing a few motor upgrades and my cylinder looks absolutely perfect. I'm working with a Honda CRF150R but figured it'd be a general question. Thanks

Ok bud, no need to yell. When someone goes to tt.com, forums, dirt bike, dirt bike technical forums - the coices are: suspension, jetting, riding technique, and engineering. So its still not clear. With all the kids on this forum I really don't think the General section would be best. Figured guys that know about intakes would know about cylinder treatment. A much better fit than the other technical options. So where are transmissions discussed, general?

No with normal wear. More issues with 2t when you lean out and or crack a rings. You should be good to go if your cylinder is in spec.

Anything can wear off, look what the Colorado did the Grand Canyon. Ok to the Q. Best bet is to take the cylinder to an engine builder who can measure it for you. Measuring is the only way to know.

normal wear is wear, yes it wears off, the oil is there to prevent the wear

it takes a long time to wear out though, unless something breaks and scratches it

Wow I had no idea the nikasil would be thick enough to take a cyl out of spec if worn. My motor guy honed it last winter and now has 20+ hrs and I can see the cross hatch perfectly. I guess if it was worn I wouldn't see the hatch marks. I sent my cyl to him to check if it was worn, if I knew this I wouldn't have (he's doing valve seats anyway). Thanks guys

Wow I had no idea the nikasil would be thick enough to take a cyl out of spec if worn. My motor guy honed it last winter and now has 20+ hrs and I can see the cross hatch perfectly. I guess if it was worn I wouldn't see the hatch marks. I sent my cyl to him to check if it was worn, if I knew this I wouldn't have (he's doing valve seats anyway). Thanks guys

Out of spec cylinder is egg shape due to piston slap.