Sign in to follow this  

Newbie here, just bought a 650R

Hi guys,

After much research (okay, not that much!) I decided to finally bite the bullet and get myself an XR650R. It's a 2000 model with 10,300 miles on the clock. I paid £1500 which I feel is a steal! It has a full exhaust system on it, but not one I have heard of. Maybe you guys have? It's a Pro Circuit T4. Here's a pic of the bike:

389777_10150407991748457_508058456_8658357_88213496_n.jpg

I plan on using it mostly on the road but will certainly give off roading a go.

My first question: While the bike is in relatively decent shape, what should I check over? I'd like to clean it up a bit when I pick it up next Saturday and make sure it's in tip top shape. It's just had new brake pads, rear discs and a speedo drive cable.

In regards to supermoto'ing it. What road wheels will fit it? What will I need to do to get them on? I know DRZ400's use Excel wheels which look quite nice, I wouldn't mind a set of those. They are easy enough to come by here, I'm assuming they won't fit the 650R? Assuming I don't take that route are any of the Michelin/Pirelli/Dunlop tyres which do mostly road but a small amount of dirt any good? I would rather get the SM wheels and some nice sticky Pirellis.

Fitting indicators, hard? All it's missing are the actual indicators and the switch on the left hand side (it's got the slot for it). And mirrors, are there a place to fit them? I forgot to look and I assume they have them, if so what size fits? I've also seen things you can wire a key into the kill switch, worth doing? Hard? Where could I buy one if I decide to take that route?

I've also read that K&N filters are not that good, it has one, do I swap it for a stock filter or twin air filter? Or should I keep it till the next service? It's not really dusty around where I live.

Lastly, kickstarting the beast... that should probably have been first. I've read all the threads but can anyone offer any tips? I'm relatively young, so all the bikes I've had have been electric start. No such luxuries with this.

I think that's everything covered, I'm excited! :lol:

Nice looking bike. My R came with a K&N and after reading a lot of bad things about them, I started keeping an eye on it. For me, It's worked well. I check it after almost every ride and have never found the inside of the airbox to have any dirt in it. But it sounds like I'm the exception.

My starting ritual is like most, if cold, choke on, pull the decomp lever and kick slowly for 3 or 4 times, bring the piston to the top, pull the decomp to allow the piston to pass tdc, grab the front break and give her a healthy kick. If jetted right, it shouldn't be too hard to start. Just don't lay it over.

Cheers for that.

Regarding adding a key/security etc. Are there any recommended immobilisers?

Edit: May have found a decent immobiliser made by Acumen if anyone is interested.

Edited by obscene

Give Paul a ring over at www.xr650r.co.uk he will have 99% of what your after...failing that advice to help you out.

Tell him Simon sent you over for some bulbs; he will know what I mean :lol:

You. Beauty. That site is absolutely perfect! :lol: I shall be e-mailing for lots of parts/info. Let the fun begin :)