Sign in to follow this  

07 yz 250f leaking?

went to go change the coolant in my bike yesterday when i noticed a small amount of liquid below where the header connects to the cylinder, just below it, a small coating of liquid, i rubbed my finger on it a bit and it didnt smell like gas nor feel like oil, which leaves coolant, is what i think. I was thinking a bad head gasket, or the guy who had checked the valves last didnt tighten the head on correctly. (criss cross pattern) ive put some pics up, these arent all that great, they werent taken for this sprecific problem, just for picture purposes, ill post more later, thanks in advance.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/dirtbike078.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/dirtbike073.jpg/

could be coolant, but you dont unbolt the head to check the valves.

if it is coolant i would think it is coming from a hose, hose joint or radiator. a dribble down the cylinder would say if its the head.

oh, btw, that is a spot know to collect water (and cleaner) when you wash the bike. could be just that and nothing more.

could be coolant, but you dont unbolt the head to check the valves.

if it is coolant i would think it is coming from a hose, hose joint or radiator. a dribble down the cylinder would say if its the head.

oh, btw, that is a spot know to collect water (and cleaner) when you wash the bike. could be just that and nothing more.

checked all the hoses, nothing leaking, its definitly coming off from the top of the head though, i can feel all the way up,m i took a rag and cleaned up the wet spots, 15 min later, i had to wipe it off again. i havent washed the bike at all. i was thinking condensation because it gets cold in my shed out back, what do you think?

if you wipe it off and if comes back. what is the top most point that the fluid starts from? and get a pic!!!

the reason i ask is that unless the head is cracked, the is very little water above the head gasket that actually resides in the head.

if you wipe it off and if comes back. what is the top most point that the fluid starts from? and get a pic!!!

the reason i ask is that unless the head is cracked, the is very little water above the head gasket that actually resides in the head.

i checked the head, it didnt seem to be cracked anywhere it almost feels like all the way at the top for some reason, i will get a pic soon

from the top?

there isnt any water up there.

i wonder if you have the over flow hose right above there and its dripping down.

i looked at that to, it runs down to the bottom,

you should be able to tell the diff between antifreeze and water/condensation, did you check the coolent level, can you tell your loosing coolent? and if there was a crack, its probably a hair line crack that you could not see or feel unless you take the head off to inspect it....... but can you positively confirm its coolent

you should be able to tell the diff between antifreeze and water/condensation, did you check the coolent level, can you tell your loosing coolent? and if there was a crack, its probably a hair line crack that you could not see or feel unless you take the head off to inspect it....... but can you positively confirm its coolent

i know, at the time i didnt think to taste it, it should be sweet if its antifreeze, i have not had access to the bike so i cannot take pics until sunday sometime

there is a o-ring on the fitting that the upper radiator hose connects to,also a o-ring between the cyl and case.you should be able to see a leak if you clean up the bike good,then dry it off and run/ride it,and look for leaks.it could be that your rad is leaking and blowing back on the motor when you are riding.just a few areas to check.keep us posted and good luck.