Sign in to follow this  

Any body have this happen?

I put a new battery in my 06 CRF450x, (Yausa) it has been on a battery tender for a month or so. Ride bike for the first time last Tuesday and use starter a few times. By the end of the day it is dead. I put a test light on it and it was dim, started bike and it brightened so it would appear that the stater is working. Yausa batteries crap? Bike problem? Thanks.

I put a new battery in my 06 CRF450x, (Yausa) it has been on a battery tender for a month or so. Ride bike for the first time last Tuesday and use starter a few times. By the end of the day it is dead. I put a test light on it and it was dim, started bike and it brightened so it would appear that the stater is working. Yausa batteries crap? Bike problem? Thanks.

I don't think they are crap... it would appear you just got a bad battery or even possibly a bad tender(?)

If you still have the receipt I would just go return it under warranty.

If you do a search, you'll find good reviews on the Shorai (sp?) batteries, but they run over a 100 bucks.

test your battery tender. with it unplugged test the voltage, plug it in and it should read about 13 v. If that checks out then you got a bad battery.

test your battery tender. with it unplugged test the voltage, plug it in and it should read about 13 v. If that checks out then you got a bad battery.

You can't check a Battery Tender like that. A battery tender will not begin charging until it's connected to a battery. In fact, it won't even begin charging until it's connected "properly" to a battery.

It's a safety feature. Battery Tenders are short circuit and reverse polarity protected. It prevents the unit from charging if it's hooked up backwards and it won't spark if you touch the leads together while it's plugged in.

From the BT instruction manual:

SPECIAL FEATURES: The Battery Tender ® Junior and Plus

Chargers have the following special features:

SPARKPROOF: The battery charger DC output leads, either ring

terminals or alligator clips must be connected to a battery before an output

voltage is developed by the battery charger.

SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION: The battery charger can sustain a

short circuit connection directly across its DC output terminals indefinitely

without any risk of either electric shock or excessive heat.

REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION: The battery charger is

protected internally against any damage due to the DC output leads being

connected to the opposite polarity battery post. No damage will result to either

the battery or the battery charger.

TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION (BT PLUS Only): The output

voltage is compensated at -3.5mV/ °C/Cell. This increases the output voltage

in cold climates to keep the battery from being undercharged and, more

importantly, reduces the voltage in high temperature climates to protect the

battery from overcharge

Not the most scientific test of the charging system. I would throw a voltmeter on there just to be sure it's putting out enough voltage to charge the battery. Might as well eliminate that as a problem before hand. I've had a buggy stator on my DRZ and a buggy reg/rec on my TL1000R which would act up only when it was warm.

Yuasa's are generally quality batteries. Still have the stock one in my 08 and commute on it just about every weekday, but there's always a chance of getting a dud.

Have you double checked to make sure all your connections are clean and tight? If not I'd try that first.

I meant to check voltage AT THE BATTERY.

No need to flame because you didn't understand! Sheesh!

And like elan suggested, see if the charging system is working properly with the same method.

Thanks all! The battery had roughly 10v after I charged a little at work the other day. When I got home I hooked it up to the tender and checked voltage at the terminals. I have two tenders of the same and two separate batteries in separate bikes that have been charged up to the same volts. Next step will be to check with meter what the running output of the stator is to the battery. The bike is an 06 with about 10 hours on it. All wiring and such look great. Strange that the battery would drain so much with just the stock lighting and running for a few hours.

I meant to check voltage AT THE BATTERY.

No need to flame because you didn't understand! Sheesh!

And like elan suggested, see if the charging system is working properly with the same method.

Don't get all wadded up Nay, I was hardly flaming you. I was informing. A lot of people don't understand how the BT works.

Got around to taking the battery back to the shop today. It was confirmed that the battery was bad and is being replaced under warranty. Should be good to go when the new one comes in. Thanks all!