2001 cr compared to 2001 yz 250

I have a 2001 Cr250, twin air filter, vforce 3, gnarly exhaust. I'm The second owner and the bikes in fantastic shape without a single issue. I'm pretty happy and have been planning on getting it ported with the head done and fresh piston.

My buddy just bought a 2001 yz 250 I found him and it has a pro circuit exaust, vforce3, and it's ported with head work. While my bike has power and lifts up good, his yz stands up in 4th gear effortlessly.

I do understand porting and head mods make worlds of difference seeing as I've had every bike I've owned ported (2 stroke quads And a atc250r). My question here is, can a guy like Eric gorr etc make my 01 motor smooth and as powerful as my buddies yz? Before I put money in my motor I'd like some input on weather or not to trade up for a yz.

ya gearing could make all the difference between the two....

kinda strange, not the outcome i was expecting when i clicked on this thread...ive ridden an 01 cr250 and that was one of the fastest bikes ive ever ridden, that thing screamed and effortlessly wheelied through all the gears....the yz did hit harder but didnt seem as strong (it was an 04)....

ya gearing could make all the difference between the two....

kinda strange, not the outcome i was expecting when i clicked on this thread...ive ridden an 01 cr250 and that was one of the fastest bikes ive ever ridden, that thing screamed and effortlessly wheelied through all the gears....the yz did hit harder but didnt seem as strong (it was an 04)....

Don't get me wrong here, my cr is fast and comes up good but I'm curious how my cr would compare powerband wise with a low to mid port to smooth out the peakiness. The yz is ported with the head done and it's a very smooth yet powerful powerband that lifts up very controlled every gear. I'm still able to smoke my buddy but that's because I'm a faster rider. In a nutshell, how would my cr compare powerband wise with that style porting(educated guess lol)?

My cr has 13/45 not sure on the yz yet

I'm not sure what the final drive ratio of both bikes is, - i can only speak for the YZ because i have one -- 13/45 would be like street bike gearing or something on the YZ, I run 13/49 and 13/50 is not unheard of

If you are geared for the desert and your buddies bike is geared for motocross -- that would be a big difference

Evaluating a bike's power by how sweet it pulls the front wheel is possibly not the best evaluation though

I can imagine next month's MXA test reading :

:Yes , the KYXF has very responsive and tractable power, .... but, the XKZR pulls wheelies in every gear !

I'm not sure what the final drive ratio of both bikes is, - i can only speak for the YZ because i have one -- 13/45 would be like street bike gearing or something on the YZ, I run 13/49 and 13/50 is not unheard of

If you are geared for the desert and your buddies bike is geared for motocross -- that would be a big difference

Evaluating a bike's power by how sweet it pulls the front wheel is possibly not the best evaluation though

I can imagine next month's MXA test reading :

:Yes , the KYXF has very responsive and tractable power, .... but, the XKZR pulls wheelies in every gear !

Haha that's funny! I think the reason I mentioned the wheelie aspect is because I've been honing my wheelie skills. I think you guys are on to something with the gearing. I think I'm going to get a 48T rear(13/48), and see if that's what I'm looking for. By all means my bike is powerful and I did manage to tune my tmx to run fantastic even with the stock needle. We all have our own preferred power band and I'm just finding mine:ride: