Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM 450 SX-F: My First Ride

I had a chance to ride my new 2012 KTM 450 SX-F on Saturday at one of the local MX tracks. I’m a 6’0”, 190 lb, 41 year old C rider (novice), coming off a 2009 KTM 250 XC (two stroke). This was the first time I had ever been on the newer four strokes.

All I can say is – WOW!! I really like the bike! Coming from the 2T, there was/is definitely a learning curve, but the 4T really seems to fit my riding style well. Power delivery is ridiculously smooth and it pulls strong, even down low. Once rpm starts to build, this thing is just stupid, stupid fast. Although it is probably 20 pounds heavier than my XC, it didn’t “feel” any heavier and actually handled better / felt smoother. Suspension is stock and SAG was 100 mm.

The only issue I had was, after a cold or not fully warmed up start up, the engine would hesitate slightly (lean pop) or just die completely when I twisted the throttle. I may need to adjust the fuel screw and/or go with a smaller leak jet (the test review in MXA http://motocrossactionmag.com/KTM/News/MXAS-2012-KTM-450SXF-MOTOCROSS-TEST-THE-BIKE-THAT-8400.aspx mentions that this is the only adjustment they had to make to the carb).

Otherwise, the bike is flat out awesome. I really can't wait to ride it again. I don't think the weather here in NY is going to cooperate much longer, though.

Here are two pics after I washed it off (post first ride):

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

If there are any "must haves" or other tech tips for these bikes, please feel free to share; I am a complete noob 4T owner :lol:.

Sweet ride... FCR carb'd bikes will do that if sitting still. If there were no probs whilst riding, then no worries. Your 2 stroke army card has been revoked however...

Thanks!

Does my carb even have a leak jet? I'm reading some conflicting information.

If all goes well, I should have the XC sold by this weekend. At that point, I will reluctantly hand in my card... :lol:

I'm hesitant to reply because I'm not completely sure that it doesn't have a leak jet. I know a very popular mod is the Merge adjustable leak jet, it supposedly fixes a lot of the off idle bogging.

I'm hesitant to reply because I'm not completely sure that it doesn't have a leak jet. I know a very popular mod is the Merge adjustable leak jet, it supposedly fixes a lot of the off idle bogging.
Get an adjustable leak jet from R&D. A must in any 4-stroke with a Keihin FCR carb and one of the best mods you can do. This will allow you to tune the low end response to perfection.

Reading / research that I've done so far seems to agree; the adjustable leak jet might be the ticket, especially since I ride in temps ranging from 45 degrees to 90+ degrees. Might make tuning easier. While I'm in there, installing a JD fuel mixture screw is probably a good idea too.

I second the 53 rear , it will bring the bike alive , and R&D Flex Jet , its the easiest fuel screw to access as the starter makes adjusting any screw that is not like the R&D jet , a pain as you will find it hard to reach , the R&D Bowl with adjustable leak jet , i am not sold on yet , for the money i dont think it made that much of a difference , and i can think of better places to spend $200+ on the bike , i would highly recommend a Dr.D or a Pro Circuit pipe (both complete systems) my friend has both for his 11 , the Dr.D added a lot to the bottom , , better than stock mid , but not really anything on top (if you just want to add low end punch the Dr.D is the pipe), the Pro Circuit made the bottom end in between the stock pipe and the Dr.D , but pulls like a monster all the way till you cant hold on any longer (i am serious , the bike will not stop pulling)

I would also recommend swapping the stock bars for Renthal RC bend , anyone tall will benefit from this , and the angle is better on your wrists (my friend is 6'6" and 260 w/o gear) and i have them on my Honda after riding his with them , they are that much better than the stock bars,, I would also highly recommend ODI Grips http://www.odigrips.com/mxlock-onktm4-stroke.aspx

Once you get fast you might have issues with the forks blowing thru the stroke , but for a slower to medium guy as you say you are at your weight , it will be very plush

Check your spokes often , they do loosen up , and i would recommend getting a Devol Skid Plate , it protects the vital areas of the motor , and keeps the frame damage away when/if you case a jump

Thats about it , the bike is pretty good for the most part right out of the box , i was impressed and i am a Honda guy , but i love riding that bike (his now has aftermarket suspension , and the bike floats even with me at 204 , and my friend is 260+ , it has 5.4 front and 6.2 rear and the bike is like its on pillows , NOST suspension , not cheap , but about the best for a KTM , he machines his own custom parts , its the best thing to happen to a KTM) !!

Sweet bike Dan. I see yours didn't come with the hole shot device mounted either. I just ordered the KTM plastic skid plate for the XCW and I'm going to try and make it fit. It was mentioned in another thread that it will fit if you change the mounting hole. I'll let you know if it works.

Thank you VERY much for all of the information, guys! I really appreciate your input.

450XJimDirt - I think I may have read one or two other posts (possibly yours) saying the same things; that the R&D bowl kit at over $200 is not worth it. Thanks for all the detailed info!

Do you guys think the R&D adjustable leak jet kit at $110 would be worth it? Also, do you know what the OEM leak jet size is? MXA said they installed a 50 leak jet to correct the off idle hesitation / lean pop / etc, but did not say what it replaced.

The hyde racing skid plate and lock on grips are nice!

Yup - no holeshot device mounted for me either, Mike. Definitely let me know how the XCW skid plate works out; I will be getting one for sure at some point soon.

Time to spend more money... :lol:

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/dirtbike/ktm/450_4t.htm

I live in similar area,western pa,on my race and practice 11-450s,I run leaner needle in kit,leak jet stays at a 52,follow directions in kit,only adjustment I may have to do is slight adjustment

Of fuel screw (r&d flexible ) r&d float bowl and adj leak jet is not needed,I have zero bog,hesitation from idle to redline,i also recommend pro seal air filter seal to keep carb clean.I also run a online fuel filter,I' m anal on clean fuel

Edited by openclasspro

http://www.hyderacing.com/store/dirtbike/ktm/450_4t.htm

I live in similar area,western pa,on my race and practice 11+450s,I run leaner needle in kit,leak jet stays at a 52,follow directions in kit,only adjustment I may have to do is slight adjustment

Of fuel screw (r&d flexible ) r&d float bowl and adj leak jet is not needed,I have zero bog,hesitation from idle to redline,i also recommend pro seal air filter seal to keep carb clean.I also run a online fuel filter,I' m anal on clean fuel

Thank you - I really appreciate the advice :lol:. The money NOT spent on the adj leak jet can be spent on the skid plate (the 2011 plate will fit my 2012, correct?) :). I haven't adjusted the fuel screw (or anything else) yet, so I will definitely just start off with the JD kit, R&D fuel screw, and then dial it in from there. Hopefully we'll get a few more nice weekends this year.

Dan

Thank you - I really appreciate the advice :lol:. The money NOT spent on the adj leak jet can be spent on the skid plate :). I haven't adjusted the fuel screw (or anything else) yet, so I will definitely just start off with the JD kit, R&D fuel screw, and then dial it in from there. Hopefully we'll get a few more nice weekends this year.

Dan

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa395/openclasspro/?action=view&current=pingelfuelfilter.jpg&jwidget_action=album

nice choice in street ride, i have a mint 167 rwhp 2006 1000 rr

Thanks! The 1000 must FLY. I had an '03 954, but it was a little too much for the track (fun on the street, though). I'm actually a lot faster on the 600. I'm getting the suspension done on it this winter - probably Ohlins stuff all around.

Thank you - I really appreciate the advice :lol:. The money NOT spent on the adj leak jet can be spent on the skid plate (the 2011 plate will fit my 2012, correct?) :). I haven't adjusted the fuel screw (or anything else) yet, so I will definitely just start off with the JD kit, R&D fuel screw, and then dial it in from there. Hopefully we'll get a few more nice weekends this year.

Dan

What we are here for,helping each other:thumbsup: