Sign in to follow this  

how small can i get a 250!

hi. looking for any advise of lowering something like a YZ250F. I am 17, have some exsperience on smaller bikes such as RM85 and looking to move up. Having the bike for almost 5 years I have been used to having ability to put both feet on the ground. However I am only 5,5 and when i tried a YZ250F at a track it felt really un-comfortable, but the power and verything was fine, just things like tight corners felt a bit strange. plus i was not used to having to put just one foot on the ground, tad bit embrassing when nearly falling off at a stand still. I know with with more experience it should not make any difference but to be honest iam not racing here just going to tracks with my mates and i dont want to look like a fool hoping onto something too big or struggling to get off it .Had a look at a honda crf 150rb (not ride) did not look big enough to be honest and for all my Knowledge and the people i have asked there is nothing inbetween ( if there is please tell me) saw a similar thread on here, with suggestions such as shaving the foam off seats, talking to a professonal wealder etc if i have missed any please remind me, will the honda be fine with what i am doing will i get smoked by my mates on thier 250's, will lowering a 250 ruin the dynamics of the bike and lower its performance.

haha sorry for all the questions, any help will be much appreciated.

mike.

First thing is to set the sag and get the right spring rates so the bike handles better and doesn't sit any taller than it should.

Revale set the sag and shave the seat. Im 5'5" as well and this dropped it quite a bit, I can almost reach with both feat. If more is needed they can lower the suspension, I've also heard of people cutting the subframe, you can also get a lowering link but I don't have experience with any of that so so it may mess with the bikes handling. First revalve the suspension, set the sag and shave the seat. If more is needed, talk to the suspension shop and ask them, lots of smart people in the business

i think u will get used to it after a few rides i am totally comfortable on full size bikes and i am also 5'5 when i first made the switch from my old cr 85 i felt very awkward on a 250 but after a few rides at the track i am fine

if your going to get the suspension revalved,have them lower it about 1 inch,front and back.it wont mess up the handeling if you do it correctly.and its easily reversible if you grow or sell the bike.

Ive had to start my bikes using a curb or the "jump up and kick and try not to fall to the right" technique my whole life. Youll get used to the handling in time just like anything else. I wouldnt cut the frame unless you plan on keeping the bike forever. Like stated above, do the easy stuff like shaving the seat first, then get more aggressive.