Sign in to follow this  

08' 450 with excessive vibrations.

I have an 08' rmz450 with a new 09' motor that I put in about 2 months ago. Motor has about 11 hrs on it and it vibrating like crazy. I loosened all the mounts again(2nd time) checked to make sure there nothing bent/broken or just not right, reassembled at still the same. I dont have a manual for it, so I'm not sure about the torque figures.

I'll try to explain home much its vibrating, on the stand idling, you can see the vibrations in the rear tire, both fenders are rattling. Do these bikes just vibrate a lot, or is something out of whack?

I replaced the bushings in the bar mounts, which helped slightly, but my hands still get pretty numb from it.

its gotten worse actually, I noticed more vibes than what I was used to on my crf, now it just seems excessive. I just rode another RMZ and it vibates too, just not as much.

I dont know, maybe I just have to get used to it. Going to pull everything off and make sure I'm not missing a crack in the frame or something.

hmm, the only time i noticed "Excessive" vibration on a buddies RMZ was when his rod was giving way, especially in the foot pegs. i dont think they vibrate excessively, but you may want to verify that the motor is good by looking in the strainers for bronze color shavings that may indicate your crank going bad. if your sure its all new then somethings not right...

Is it possible for a crank to die that fast? Havent seen much of anything in the strainer or the oil filter, basically same small, very small stuff if anything, I saw when I broke the crf in.

I dont notice it too much if my feet, but definately in the bars.

Is it possible for a crank to die that fast? Havent seen much of anything in the strainer or the oil filter, basically same small, very small stuff if anything, I saw when I broke the crf in.

I dont notice it too much if my feet, but definately in the bars.

YES it is... I had a new rmz crank go out (rod bearing...stock engine) with 18 hours.... My opinoin is the rod needs a bigger bearing..(pins)

wow is all I can say to that, anything else the mods would delete it. 300+ hours on a 04 CRF450 crank, only thing that stopped it was the oil pump died.

If these motors are not tougher than that, might be my first and last RMZ, thats just scary.

lets not jump to conclusions yet, a riding buddy has put a lot of hard hours on his RMZ's and they all held up very well. it doesn't eliminate the possibility that something went wrong on assembly that could cause the crank to go, but usually a bad crank will vibrate at the pegs a lot, it could have been dropped before assembly un-trueing it. is there any gold/brass/copper color shavings in the strainer or oil filter? if not id look for other problems. lets go over what you did do:

-torque all the engine mounts (including the head stay bracket under the tank, this will cause the most vibration if not torqued properly)

-did you rebuild the bike? there is a counter balancer in the motor which could have been assembled wrong.

-were the main bearings replaced on rebuild?

the 07 my buddy had did vibrate a bit but not to the point that my hands would go numb

Im not jumping ship yet, I'm getting used to the bike and really starting to like the handling and it does get ridden hard when its running.

Brand new 09' motor, it was a thing of beauty!!

Any of the pieces I saw were all silver, and very, very small. I dont have the manual so nothing is torqued....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/bk14mx/2011-09-28105401.jpg

Im waiting on some parts to get here so I'm going back through it to make sure I didnt miss anything. Going to pull the tank today and check the headstay.

... I dont have the manual so nothing is torqued....

ok so you did get a BRAND NEW motor, its funny that suzuki was initially just recalling the cases, but then just said screw it, give em new motors! i now of guys who rode the whole season on the original 08 motor THEN go get the recal done and have new motors put in at the dealers. not a lot of manufacturers will do that...

Thats a fact, I'm not sure how replacing the entire motor was cheaper(easier, yes) than replacing the cases, but my math can be a little fuzzy. cases are $600-750, plus labor. New motors on ebay are going for $2500.00, but what would Suzuki charge for one I wonder?

well it doesn't cost Suzuki nearly as much to build and ship out motors as it was to pay for dealers to fix them. they already had the tooling so the cost for suzuki to manufacture many motors is probably only a fraction of the list price. makes sense to me

I have a 2012 Zook 450 and it does not viberate at all. I've riden an 08, 09, and 10 Zook and the 08-09 viberate. I'm not sure why but the 2010 and up models don't have this issue. Hope this helps. I think you're fine to be honest.

My new 09 vibrates a hell of alot more than my DRZ.When I race in Endureos my left hand goes completly numb.In a 10 lap moto not so bad.I just need to wear thicker gloves,Ha Ha.

ive never ridden an 08 or 09 rmz450. my riding buddy whos an MX1 rider had the 07 10 an now 11 bike which vibrate a bit (but not to the point of my hands getting numb). the 07 vibrated quite a bit though... for some reason i allways though the 08-10 bikes where very similar, maybe just the nature of the beast

My 11 RMZ vibrates less than any other 450 I've ridden. Neighbor has a 2011 kx450f and I had a crf450, and rode an 05 or 06 rmz450.None of them vibrated much at all. Are we talking vibes like a 2 stroke? I have a ktm 300-if my 450 vibrated like that-I'd be concerned

on the stand you can see the rear tire vibrating, I think its excessive, but from the posts above maybe that year just vibrates more than most, and definately more than the CRF I have.

Maybe the newer ones just have a better CB system.