Sign in to follow this  

"The Sportsman Thread" 2011 SCORE Baja 1000 Race Reports....

I'm not the story teller of the group but I'll give it a shot. A brief history will sort of set the tone as to how important this win was for us.

Team Baja-Mex (insurance) / Crown Performance has been trying for many years to get the win in the sportsman under class. We have had several (I think 3 years) of 2nd place in the 1000. For some reason we usually do better in the 1000 as compared to the 250 and 500, and this year it was the same, we could barely get anyone to ride or help with the 250...and the 500 was riddled with mistakes and bad luck. We started the 2011 baja 1000 second in points which we felt was sort of a lucky thing since we didnt do so well in the 250 or 500... and pretty much needed the team first in points to DNF or place really bad and we would have to win....for us to pull off the points championship.

Last year(2010) we were down almost 3 hours due to some lighting issues (rectifier) but pieced it back together and made a great comeback to within <10min.... of first but ultimately we couldn’t real in the Willits team (sorry if I miss spelled). So we ended up 2nd in both race and points.

In 2009, we actually crossed the finish first when the Ladendorft team had issues in the last 40 miles (with over a 1 hour lead), but ultimately we lost via a few speeding penalties (I think we lost by less than a couple min adjusted time). Additionally the Ladendorft team lost as well that year so both teams were suffering from "almost won" syndrome…. Again… So we ended up 2nd in both race and points.

2008 - again we ended up 2nd in both race and points.

Team3.jpg

The Sunday before the race we lost a heavy hitter (heavy in weight not speed :lol: ) due to few broken ribs and a punctured lung. He apparently thought the huge rock (that was visible from the moon) would be fun to clip at 50 while pre-running .... so we had to reach out and find another rider on short notice. We lucked out huge and got Matt Ladendorf - someone we have competed against in the sportsman class for years. Matt is a great guy, he not only jumped on the chance but suckered his two buddies into driving him out from AZ and chasing for the next few days. Those guys put in some miles to say the least and really made all the difference in the world to our little team. We can’t thank Matt and his buddies enough.

Additionally, we had a score/baja rookie on the team (Alex) who rides once a month at max and has had about 4 total fun rides south of the border. He's more of a drummer than rider ... .but man... Alex stood up to the challenge well and rode fast and safe, something most rookies and guys that don’t ride that often do.

SprayersClub5.jpg

As for the race…..

To win a race like this, with really good teams and riders all competing for the win (some are pro caliber from WORCS and other organizations which I wont get into here but….LAME!) you need a perfect ride and all the stars in the sky to align (aka LUCK) and that’s what we had. We all rode clean and safe. Taking minimal chances and getting the bike to the next guy. Each rider knowing that when they are on the bike they cant win the race for the team…they can only lose it. So everyone stayed calm (almost too calm) and we brought her home with nothing but little issues here and there. We started off nearly at the back of the pack (214x) or should I say one of the last bikes off the line. This makes it tough since we have a lot of other classes to pass including quads. By RM 95 we were in 9th …. I got on at the base of the Summit and brought it to Borrego. At that point we had moved into 3rd only a few min behind 1st and 2nd. We ended up getting buy those guys and finishing 1 hour and a few min ahead of 2nd.

I cant begin to explain in words how much this means to the team and myself…. Its been a long time for me and an even longer time coming for some of the guys that put this team together a few years prior to me joining. True Sportsmen putting it together against all odds (baja, sandbaggers, etc..)…. Something I will never forget.

teamfinish.jpg

Edited by supernot
updating pic link

X2. I have to live vicariously through you guys this year. :lol: You have had a few days for sleep. I have recovered from all the tequila I consumed toasting your efforts. :) Come on Sportsmen! Give up the stories.

Great story Supermot. Congrats!

I hope team DIRT doesn't mind I put this link here. These guys were a Canadian team that we talked to on the starting line. Their first time running the 1000. I found their blog after I got home. Great story.

http://www.daretodreamextreme.com/dirt-team-blog-2011-2/

X2. I have to live vicariously through you guys this year. :lol: You have had a few days for sleep. I have recovered from all the tequila I consumed toasting your efforts. :) Come on Sportsmen! Give up the stories.

Great story Supermot. Congrats!

Thanks... was planning on just watching the next year or so ...but now I think we fueled the fire and we'll be planning next year... OH AFTER the awards dinner where we collect that first in class championship trophy!