removing short oil screen bolt

Seams to be a feature of the KTM's. Have a look through some of the posts about this but personally I would take it to a dealer to sort out.

Wish me luck I'm doing an oil change this weekend and the last time the bottom screen plug was a b with an itch ?

Taz

I've had mine out several times witout any problems so far :D Lucky

I use a 8mm allen socket some say it is a t50 torx bit. I borrowed a torx bit and the allen seem to fit better.

I always clean the mud out of the socket hole out first.

What ever driver you use be carefull and to hold it at the same angle of the drain bolt.

It's worked so far ?

As far as the striped bolt. I'd probably try and screw it up myself before a shop would! I would try this

with all the oil drained,gas tank removed and drain the carb.

Lay the bike on it's side,heat around the bolt(not on the bolt) shouldn't take much. Use a allen driver or torx bit whichever seems to fit better. And lightly tap on the driver(whichever one you used)You want to try to seat it into the striped bolt head. The tapping will help break it loose.

If that didn't work let it cool off and try to loosen it.

Hopefully you get somemore ideas also

Good luck

DEA

Why not try a small chisel first? Lay the bike on its side, place a small chisel on the outside edge of the bolt and tap it counter-clockwise. The chisel should bite into the bolt and the tapping should drive the bolt in the proper direction. If you do this correctly, you can get almost any bolt out. If you can't get it, you can still take it to the dealer.

• 4 years later...

OK fellow bikers, here's another excellent process to remove a frozen drain plug. Particularly the one that KTM puts in the bottom of the engine case for the short oil screen.

I had cracked mine in half trying to remove it and my friend suggested using a vibro-etcher. This is a high frequency air powered tool used to etch lettering or whatever on metal. All you need to do is start an indent by pressing the tool parallel to the bolt axis and a little off center then gradually tilt the tool in the direction to loosen the bolt. The high frequency vibration will gently loosen the threads without causing damage to the threads or engine case. My drain plug was already trashed so I replaced it with the one made by Zip Ty Racing. All went well and I'm back in business. Life is Good!

Do not use chisels or beat on it buy an easy out were the tip fits in there and start to work it out it will strip and you will have to cut some off use a cutoff wheel and put it back in and run it out again repeat this process and it will come out i used this method twice then i learned my lesson and bought a hex head screw. This method will insure that you will not crack your case or break anything if you are still worried take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. Hope this helps

I'm changing my oil but i don't see the short oil screen. is it not the drain bolt screen ? The manuals instructions on changing oil only show to pull drain plug with screen, but it sounds like there is another screen after reaading some posts on here? (should note that i'm talking about 08 530exc) mabee some one can post a photo?

When this happened to me on my 04, I went to Sears and bought a #5 screw extractor. It is square with teeth in the cormers to bite into anything. I had to grind about a 1/4 off the end which flattened the pointed tip, tapped it into the allen hole with a small hammer, then used a medium sized cresent wrench on the end of the extractor and tapped it with the hammer - bingo!!

when you get your new bolt - grease the threads, tighten to correct specs, and snap it loose with a tap on the end of the wrench to loosen.

DBM

You guys had me so scared with I changed my oil. I bought a socket type allen head, gently wacked it in place with a hammer to send harmonic vibrations to the bolt, and it came right out. I am so glad. It is a good thing I took it out, as it had some crap in it. I cleaned the threads and gently put it back in. Thanks for all your suggestions and I am sorry for the ones that stripped.

Oh, I warned up the motor thinking the case will expand faster than the bolt, and that might have also helped.