Sign in to follow this  

What am I missing?

By not getting my suspension re-done?

I just started riding this year and I am on an '08 KTM 250 XCF-W. The first owner was a 18 year old kid that weighed 180. I weigh 205 but have not changed a thing.

It depends on what was done before. You are probably a little heavy for the current springs but that is an easy fix. Are you riding the same places the previous owner was, or somewhere else? Carnegie is a big difference than something like Club Moto.

He was into Hare Scrambles. I do mostly Carnegie/Gold Note/Elkins Flat. Maybe those are similar enough?

Maybe I should re-read my manual. I know my eyes glossed over a bit when it spoke of getting someone to hold onto the bike while you sit upright and measure the sag. I was just wondering if it makes that much of a riding difference to have the suspension tweaked just for you.

I run across people speaking about it with new bikes a lot and was wondering what I am missing by not having it factored to my weight.

thanks

Edited by RabidDove_NorCal
drag = fixed

if its set badly it can make a huge difference

Search the threads here on suspension and start reading up. You obviously don’t have to stop riding your bike just because it’s been set up for someone else so take a little time and learn some basics. Having the suspension set to your weight and riding style definitely makes a difference.

Get someone to help you set your sag first; it makes a big difference in overall control. This is what you were talking about that was glazing you over. Search ‘setting race sag’. There are links to sites that explain everything and youtube videos to boot.

Next, learn about your clickers. Those are the adjustments on your forks and shock that control the dampening in both compression and rebound. Most people I know never touch these but if you start fooling with these a little and start to understand the affects you’ll find that your suspension can do a whole lot more for you in different situations and conditions than if you ignore them. Even so, in the stock positions with the sag set right you’ll be ahead of the game.

Everything previously mentioned is free. AFTER all that then you can start looking into spring rates that accommodate your weight and riding style better.

All this will take a while to sink in but the more you read about it the less intimidating it will be. Good luck, happy trails and all that kinda stuff.

Been riding my current bike for 2 years now and have been extremely happy with it. Did a couple track sessions recently and realized I should tune my suspension. Changed the fork spring rates, oil and set proper sag. All said and done its a night and day difference, my bike has never felt this good. Instantly I felt the difference and have been riding a lot faster but with so much more control and confidence.

I realized I should look into different spring rates after my wife took this picture :lol:

294020_10150333518081092_777946091_7952074_2033852444_n.jpg

a lot of rider are happy with is suspension ,but when revalve it are much happy.

the real problem is explain how much difference can make a very good suspension on bike riding and on lap time - fatigue