Sign in to follow this  

Power/Speed Issues

Hello everyone, I have a 2006 CRF450R that I bought used about a year ago and have been having a lot of fun with. However my friend recently got a CRF450X and I have noticed that he is at least twice as fast as I am. Even when we switch bikes his is much faster so I know it only has a little to do with skill. Also if I give it to much gas it tends to backfire.

Any help would be great!

The transmissions are geared different between the R and the X. I compared the gearing on the 250's (CRF250R vs CRF250X) and I found that the 1st gear was lower in the X, 2nd gear was the same and the X would be geared higher in every gear 3rd and up. They are really made for 2 different applications. I would rather have an R on the track, but an X on an old dirt road. I'll bet if you dig into it, the gearing comparison would be similar on the 450's

Faster in what type of trail situation?? Road and fast 2 track? THe X does have the topend gearing to help with high speeds. But in the trail I would say it all rider. I have now issues with any X or Wr when in the tighter trails with my R. But the rider deffinatley make the diff.

Also sounds like you have a jetting or valve issue?? It shouldnt backfire if you give it a hand full of gas?? Only lift the front tire and go faster!

How big is your friend? AT 265lbs, you could be over 100 pounds heavier and that's going to show....especially when you haven't ridden in 30+ years.

Ya left those details out...

In what way are you topping out at 55? Gearing, as in the 5th gear, against the rev-limiter 55?

Or, you're full throttle, 3rd gear and she just stops pulling around 55? A standard 450 engine puts out enough power to theoretically pull the bike to around 110-120 MPH.

Sounds like you are very lean.

The X has a wide ratio transmission, the R does not. Your top speed will vary greatly depending on sprocket gearing. Sounds like you also need to clean & tune your carby to get it running proply.

Wow, I have not had the time to check this thread thanks for the great responses. 55 is 5th gear 3 quarters open. Full open I get the backfiring issue. I have thought about checking the valve clearance but didnt think about the carb at all.

I know a portion of it is that I am a new rider and still a little shy about cranking it open, however my dad just purchased an 04 kawasaki 300r and his can kick my a$$.

Anyway I will try this out!